13.0055 Guide to Good Practice; NEH Newsletter

Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:55:35 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (128)
Subject: Guide to Good Practice : A REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS

[2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (232)
Subject: NEH Newsletter: EdSitement; MarcoPolo partnership

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:36:31 -0500
From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
June 1, 1999

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY

NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE

Guide to Good Practice=20
in the Digital Representation=20
and Management of Cultural Heritage Materials.

REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
http://www.ninch.org/PROJECTS/practice/rfprfp.html

=FF=04June 1, 1999

INTRODUCTION
The National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH)
<http://www.ninch.org> is undertaking a project to review and evaluate curr=
ent practice in the digital networking of cultural heritage resources in or=
der to publish a =FF=05Guide to Good Practice in the Digital Representation=
and Management of Cultural Herita
ge Materials.=FF=06 The Guide will be published in print and electronic for=
m.=20

A NINCH Working Group on Best Practices has outlined the scope and
purpose of the Guide. It will divide into two sections: one on the
capture and creation of digital cultural heritage resources; the other on
the management and maintenance of that digital data. The Guide will
encompass all genres. To encourage broadest use of digital resources, the=
=20
Guide will focus on object-types (e.g., manuscripts, paintings,=20
performance documentations, etc.,) going beyond the limited perspectives
of institution types or disciplines (e.g,. museums or history). The
primary audience will be institutions or researchers preparing to create
and manage digital cultural heritage resources with little extensive
knowledge of current technical and information standards, metadata and
best practices. Funders will be an important secondary audience, for whom
the Guide could provide a set of key criteria for assessing the
fundability of digital projects.=20

The Working Group will proceed by commissioning a survey of the field to
discover and define exemplary practice. The survey will include
interviews with practitioners and reviews of published guidelines and
projects that demonstrate good practice; it should also reveal areas for
which good practice still needs to be developed and documented. The
Working Group will announce a call for nominations of practitioners and
projects to be considered by the survey.

As a starting point, the Working Group has created an initial definition
of good practice consisting of six principles each of which has a set of
evaluative criteria, by which to judge current practice
<http://www.ninch.org/PROJECTS/practice/criteria-2.html>. The Working
Group has built into the process a stage in which it may refine and
extend these criteria as a result of the survey. The survey is not
intended to be a comprehensive review of current practice; its purpose is
to gather material, experiences and opinions for the writing of the
Guide.

The Working Group proposes to hire a consultant or consultants to conduct
the Survey and write the Guide in close consultation with the Working
Group. Those responding may address one or both parts of this project:
the Survey (Phase 1) and the Guide (Phase 2). This RFP is also available
at: http://www.ninch.org/PROJECTS/practice/rfprfp.html

=20
CONTENTS OF GUIDE

The following prospectus outlines the intended contents of the Guide:

GUIDE TO GOOD PRACTICE

Table of Contents

1. PREFACE
Establishes the scope and context of the Guide and summarily discusses cont=
ingent issues not covered in detail.

2. GUIDE TO THE CREATION AND CAPTURE OF DIGITAL RESOURCES AND METADATA.
This section will include but not be limited to the following:
* an overview of principles and general issues common to all formats;
* a detailed discussion of the issues and techniques pertaining to
digitizing specific types of original formats and creating appropriate
metadata;
* a discussion of the different strategies to be considered with
particular digital materials for particular uses and audiences.

3. GUIDE TO THE MANAGEMENT OF DIGITAL DATA & METADATA
A discussion of general issues in the management and maintenance of digital=
cultural heritage materials. These will include but not be limited to:
* intellectual property and access management;
* strategies for the storage, archiving, and long-term maintenance of
large collections of digital data in accordance with newly-developed
standards and technologies;
* the documentation of all practice.

The discussion will include links to web pages and projects that
exemplify model practice and its documentation. The guide will also
indicate the areas that need to develope good practice that is also well
documented.

4. AFTERWORD
The Afterword will concentrate on the range of potential uses of digital
material. Focusing on model projects that exemplify best practice, as
determined by the Working Group's evaluative criteria, it would examine
the power of the medium to connect and re-combine material, and use
digital objects in often unforeseen ways.

SCHEDULE OF WORK
An outline schedule of work would include:

1. Initial survey
The consultant will commence by interviewing practitioners and reviewing
projects drawn from an initial small pool of approximately ten
practitioners and projects from diverse cultural communities, applying
the criteria for evaluating practice established by the Working Group.

2. Submission of Report 1.
The consultant will present initial findings in written form to the
Working Group.

3. Working group review and project evaluation.
The Working Group will discuss its response to the findings and make
modifications to the evaluative criteria and survey method, as
appropriate, with the consultant.

4. Main survey
The consultant will proceed, interviewing practitioners, reviewing
existing statements and guidelines on good practice and investigating
exemplary projects nominated by an open call to the community, issued by
the Working Group.

5. Submission of Report 2.
The consultant will write a report on the survey findings, including a
bibliography and/or other compilation of useful resources gathered
through the survey, and present it to the Working Group for its review.

6. Working group review and project evaluation.
The Working Group will review and evaluate the survey report. On the
basis of the survey report, the Working Group will then review and make
modifications to the proposed form and content of the Guide, as appropriate=
=2E

This will complete Phase 1 of the project. If the Consultant has proposed
to work only on Phase 1, his or her work will then be complete. If the
Consultant has proposed to work on both Phase 1 and 2, his or her work
may continue uninterrupted. If a Consultant has proposed to work only on
Phase 2, his or her work will now commence.

7. Writing of the Guide
A consultant will proceed to write the Guide, according to a timetable
mutually agreed to by consultant and Working Group.

8. First Draft of Guide manuscript due.

9. Working group review and evaluation of guide manuscript draft 1.
Consultant and Working Group will discuss a first draft of the Guide,
after which the consultant will revise the Guide as needed.

10. Final Draft of Manuscript due.

11. Publication
The Working Group will then proceed with making arrangements for the
electronic and print publication of the Guide.

SCHEDULE
The Working Group expects to be able to hire a consultant in the Summer
of 1999. Deadline for completion of the Guide manuscript will be by the
Spring/Summer of 2000.

QUALIFICATIONS
Qualifications for a consultant include:
* a working and/or practical knowledge of networking cultural heritage
material and of the range of issues entailed;
* proven research and analytic skills;
* proven writing skills; in particular an ability to write about complex
issues in a clear style;
* a diplomatic manner;
* the ability to work closely with a team;
* the ability to post material to the project's website.

SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
A grant is expected to be available in the range of $60,000-$100,000 for
the completion of the consultant's portion of this work. The deadline for
receipt of proposals is 5pm (EST) =FF=03Monday June 21, 1999.

Electronic proposals must be available at a URL; print proposals must be in=
ten copies.

Components of a proposal shall include:
* a narrative (maximum 5 pages) explaining how the project would be
accomplished, including:
>>detailed work plan (including, if more than one person will be=20
working, the specific role of each);
>>detail of resources for completing the project;
* your qualifications for the project (including qualifications of
others who would work with you);
* budget (applicants are invited to submit variant budgets for variant
levels of work);
* resume (including resumes for others who would work with you);
* names and telephone numbers of references (minimum of 3);
* references to relevant writings by you and/or others who would work with=
you.

URLs or paper proposals should be sent to: David Green, Executive
Director, National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage, 21
Dupont Circle, Washington, DC 20036; david@ninch.org.

NINCH Working Group on Best Practices
June 1, 1999

Kathe Albrecht (from May 24, 1999)=20
American University/Visual Resources Association
LeeEllen Friedland
Library of Congress
Peter Hirtle
Cornell University
Lorna Hughes
New York University
Kathy Jones
Peabody Museum, Harvard University/American Association of Museums
Mark Kornbluh
H-Net =20
Joan Lippincott
Coalition for Networked Information
Michael Neuman=20
Georgetown University
Thorny Staples
National Museum of American Art (through 2/1/99)
University of Virginia Library (from 2/1/99)
Jennifer Trant (through May 24, 1999)
Art Museum Image Consortium=20
Don Waters/Rebecca Graham (through May 24, 1999)
Digital Library Federation
[Part 2, Application/MAC-BINHEX40 25KB]
[Cannot display this part. Press "V" then "S" to save in a file]

[Part 3, Application/MAC-BINHEX40 18KB]
[Cannot display this part. Press "V" then "S" to save in a file]

[ Part 4: "Attached Text" ]

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
<http://www.ninch.org>
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Subscribe to the NINCH-ANNOUNCE public listserv for news on=20
networking cultural heritage. Send message "Subscribe NINCH-Announce=20
Your Name" to <listproc@cni.org>.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D