13.0058 humanities computing discussion

Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:57:30 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:52:49 -0700
From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: 13.0035 humanities computing discussion

I wrote about this possibility in an article published some decades
ago in the Massachusetts Review. I tried to withdraw it, because I
thought maybe I was nuts and everyone would scout me. The editor
insisted on making it the lead article. I began with idea of the
universal record and universalized it, and went on to discuss the
unreason of reason, etc. I guess I could look up the title, were
anyone to be interested. I rewrote it last year for the hell of it,
to make some of the language clearer. But I was talking about the
next Millenium as it seems to me now, and our failure even to begin
to imagine it, so sunk are we in details or mechanisms. I remember
the subtitle, ...'Our No-Win Situation." It may have been 25
years ago now, I fear, the editor long since dead, Robert Tucker.
Jascha Kessler

Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: (310) 393-4648

http://www.english.ucla.edu/jkessler/