13.0059 UK reports: data in archaeology; digitisation

Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:18:42 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 17:56:49 -0500
From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
Subject: Two UK Reports:

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
June 3, 1999

TWO REPORTS FROM UK
Archeology Data Service: Survey of User Needs of Digital Data
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/project/strategies/

Higher Education Digitisation Service (HEDS):
Feasibility Study for the JISC Image Digitisation Initiative
http://heds.herts.ac.uk/Guidance/JIDI_fs.html

These two recent reports from the UK may be of interest to our readers.
The UK's Archeology Data Service has released a report on its survey of
the needs of users of digital data in archeology. Readers might be most
interested in the recommendations of the report, at
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/project/strategies/2.html, which has implications
beyond the field of archeology.

The UK's JISC Image Digitisation Initiative is digitizing 16 very
different image collections as a step towards building, with other
JISC-funded digital image libraries, a coherent digital image resource
for Higher Education in the UK. This Report contains practical solutions
to a variety of challenges in digitizing and offers guidance to those
planning image digitization projects.

David Green
============

Archeology Data Service: Survey of User Needs of Digital Data
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/project/strategies/

>Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:27:24 +0100 ()
>>From: Neil Beagrie <neil.beagrie@ahds.ac.uk>

The Archaeology Data Service is pleased to announce the Internet
publication of its survey into the creation, archiving, use and re-use
of digital data in British and Irish archaeology.

The results of this important survey are now available via our web-site
at http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/project/strategies/

The Arts and Humanities Data Service, Cadw, English Heritage, The
Environment and Heritage Service of the Department of the Environment,
Northern Ireland, the Heritage Council of Ireland, Historic Scotland and
the Royal Commissions for England, Scotland and Wales generously
supported both the survey and its publication.

Further information about the Survey and hard copy ordering information
can be found in the spring edition of our Newsletter, Archaeology Data
Service Online
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/newsletter/issue5.html

Damian J. Robinson
Collections Development Manager
Archaeology Data Service djr12@york.ac.uk
University of York mobile: 07970 862369
King's Manor Tel: (01904) 433954
York YO1 7EP Fax: (01904) 433939
UK http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/

Higher Education Digitisation Service (HEDS):
Feasibility Study for the JISC Image Digitisation Initiative
http://heds.herts.ac.uk/Guidance/JIDI_fs.html

>Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999
>Subject: JIDI Study available on HEDS web pages
>From: Susan Jephcott <susan.jephcott@ahds.ac.uk>

>The Feasibility Study prepared by the Higher Education Digitisation
>Service(HEDS) for the JISC Image Digitisation Initiative (JIDI) is
>now available on the HEDS web pages at
>http://heds.herts.ac.uk/Guidance/JIDI_fs.html
>
>The Study is presented with the kind permission of the JIDI Project Team,
>based at ILRT:
>http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/projects/mru.html#jidi
>
>The Study offers practical solutions for the issues presented by the range
>of image types involved in the JIDI. It details the background, method,
>technical baselines, findings and results, proposed production processes,
>procedures and potential costs. The study looks at the particular
>challenges presented by each of the sample collections - challenges such as
>colour matching, photographs, textiles and large format or extremely fragile
>originals. Issues such as the use of photographic surrogates; transport and
>handling issues and metadata requirements are also presented.
>
>The Study will be of interest to any project team preparing an image
>digitisation project and describes many of the issues that should be
>considered.
>
>HEDS is a JISC Service offering expert advice with a total management
>package to provide complete digitisation services.
>
>-------------------
>Joanne Lomax
>Digitisation Consultant
>Higher Education Digitisation Service
>University of Hertfordshire
>Hatfield
>Herts AL10 9AB
>
>Tel: 01707 286078 Fax: 01707 286079
>Email: j.c.lomax@herts.ac.uk Web: http://heds.herts.ac.uk

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
http://www.ninch.org
david@ninch.org