13.0086 workshop on mss. transcription encoding

Tue, 6 Jul 1999 15:57:55 +0100 (BST)

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 21:44:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: cbf@socrates.berkeley.edu
Subject: Workshop on manuscript transcription (fwd)

If anyone can get out to San Francisco, or is in the Bay Area at the time,
we would be delighted for additional hands.

Charles Faulhaber Department of Spanish UC Berkeley, CA 94720-2590
(510) 642-3781 FAX (510) 642-7589 cbf@socrates.berkeley.edu

We have, at long last, scheduled the workshop on medieval manuscript
transcription using the DTD developed by Michael Sperberg-McQueen, U.S.
editor of the Text Encoding Initiative.

This is the announcement that I sent to my colleagues at Berkeley:

We want to use you as guinea pigs to see how well it responds to the needs
of scholars who are preparing machine-readable transcriptions or editions
of medieval manuscript material.

The workshop is scheduled for:

Tuesday, July 27, 1-4 p.m.
Wednesday, July 28, 1-4 p.m.

Both sessions will be held in 105 Doe Library, on the UC Berkeley campus.
The first session is designed to give an overview of the encoding scheme
and an introduction to the emacs text editor which has been configured to
make it easier to insert the coding in the transcription. The second
session will be a hands-on editing session to which each participant
should bring a page or two of manuscript text to practice on.

Each participant will be given copies of the software as well as printed
documentation.

If you are interested in participating, please send e-mail to Merrilee
Proffitt (mproffit@library.berkeley.edu) to reserve a space.

Please feel free to pass this message on to non-UCB scholars who might
wish to participant. We would like to have as many people as possible take
a look at the encoding system and use the software.

Charles Faulhaber The Bancroft Library UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
(510) 642-3781 FAX (510) 642-7589 cfaulhab@library.berkeley.edu

Humanist Discussion Group