13.0146 new media

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:54:24 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> (39)
Subject: Re: 13.0143 new media

[2] From: Matt Kirschenbaum (56)
<mgk3k@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:49:41 +0100
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

Willard and HUMANISTS:

One thing about a good conference is that it leaves you both excited and
frustrated. Excited because of the stimulus of all that good thinking,
grist for the mill. Frustrated because who is able to sort it all out,
process, interact, participate except in the most fleeting and cursory way?
The best result, I guess, is to take the good bits home with you and get
back to work.

Apologies to those who were not at the ACH/ALLC conference sessions to
which you have referred. Maybe Matt Kirschenbaum could be convinced to post
us with a brief precis of his excellent remarks in the session on
Humanities Computing vs./and New Media. What I took away from it was, that
although these two fields may be, in many ways, institutionally and
culturally distinct, it should be evident to all of us (notwithstanding the
misgivings of each about the other) that we need each other. This is
because the one treats the technologies instrumentally, while the other
treats them aesthetically. The Computing Humanist asks "How can I put the
machine to work for noble purposes beyond the machine itself [studying the
Humanities]?" The student of New Media asks, "What are these machines, and
what is the world being created in and by them?" Either question without
the other has its own kind of blindness and paralysis.

Which is partly why, notwithstanding being impressed by the polish of a
good "multimedia" work, I am still left "underwhelmed" (as a professor of
Ancient Greek once of my acquaintance used to say). But unless I can look
into the wings and get a sense of what the man behind the curtain is doing,
and how he's doing it and why, it amounts to just another sensation.
Rhetorical effects are all very nice, but I need to have a sense of means,
motive and a sympathetic purpose before I can be happily drawn in. Maybe
this is to be jaded; I'd like to think of it as healthy skepticism coupled
with a need for focus, balancing the commitment to open-mindedness.

Best regards,
Wendell

Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285