13.0184 humanities computing

Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:53:37 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:47:45 +0100
From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 13.0179 humanities computing

Hope Greenberg <hope.greenberg@uvm.edu> wrote,

Re: 13.0171 humanities computing

> [...]
> Prof. Michael Kahan wherein he's quoted as saying, in part: "I did an
> experiment. I gave a lecture and videotaped it. Half the class watched
> me give the lecture. The other half, I played the videotape of the same
> thing. The part that watched the videotape -- the electronic part --
> absorbed much more than those who watched me give the lecture. The
> electronic presentation had their attention much more than the personal
> appearance."

This reminds me of the policy adopted in recent years by many airlines of
showing flight passengers a video of the emergency procedures talk, rather
than having the cabin crew do it live. I assume this change is based on
research showing much the same as the above passage.

Dominik

Humanist Discussion Group