13.0218 critical edns with Javascript

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:24:14 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Bob Godwin-Jones <rgjones@atlas.vcu.edu> (12)
Subject: Another option for glossing/notes

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (19)
Subject: Re: 13.0206 friendly Javascript for critical edns

Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:45:58 +0100
From: Bob Godwin-Jones <rgjones@atlas.vcu.edu>

As a follow-up to the discussion on using pop-ups or frames for notes, you
can see an example of giving the user a choice on how to highlight glossed
items and what to do on text select/mouse click/mouseover at:

http://www.vcu.edu/hasweb/for/grimm/aschen_dict.html

One of the advantages of giving the user that choice is that users with
older browsers can still use the glosses/notes by, for example, choosing
hypertext links rather than DHTML enhancements like glossing automatically
on text selection. It's also possible that way to allow display of
glossed items according to user prference (unmarked, colored, italicized,
etc.).

Robert Godwin-Jones
rgjones@vcu.edu
http://www.fln.vcu.edu/gj.html