13.0227 new on WWW: Anthropological Index & al.

Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:58:35 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk> (36)
Subject: Anthropological Index Online: not just another update!

[2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (87)
Subject: Current Cites: "Content-Based Image Retrieval;"
"Z39.50"

[3] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (254)
Subject: NEH Outlook: Vinton Cerf; John Unsworth

[4] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (63)
Subject: IFLA/UNESCO Survey on Digitization and Preservation

[5] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (68)
Subject: Two New CLIR Reports: Dance Documentation &
Preservation; Social Science Data and Metadata

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 21:51:11 +0000
From: David Zeitlyn <D.Zeitlyn@ukc.ac.uk>

No indeed, AS WELL AS another routine update, a lot of behind the scenes
improvements have just gone live on the Anthropological Index Online:

All the data now has both contracted and full Journal Titles, and both are
automatically searched by a term entered in the journal field. Users have
the option to select which form of the title is displayed.

The large accumulation of data in the "Recent" has now been sorted by
publication year and merged with previous data. The file now in "Recent"
is the latest data to be added. From now on when the index is updated the
file in "Recent" will be sorted by year of publication and merged with the
existing data, so the recently-added file will be small and current.

Where data was available (but in a note field) first name information has
been merged with the main author names so searching for "Claude" in the
author field will find a variety of different anthropologists... (Query: I
would be interested to hear of a actual situation in which anyone really
wants to do this. The only scenario I can come up with involves a
conference meeting and the next day having a bleary memory of an article by
some one called "Charles". Other examples would be welcomed).

We will shortly be looking for pilot testers for an email notification
service that will run stored searches on updates to Anthropological Index
Online.

best wishes as the autumn term gets underway

davidz

Dr David Zeitlyn,
Hon. Editor Anthropological Index Online
Senior Lecturer in Social Anthropology,
Centre for Social Anthropology and Computing,
Department of Anthropology,
Eliot College,
The University of Kent,
Canterbury,