13.0265 edge-finding in papyrus mss.

Humanist (humanist@kcl.ac.uk)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:55:30 +0000

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:52:19 +0000
To: Humanist Discussion Group <Humanist@kcl.ac.uk>
From: Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw@ucl.ac.uk> (by way of Humanist
<humanist@kcl.ac.uk>)
Subject: Re: 13.0194 clarifications: Greek-Sanskrit; edge-finding?
:

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:

> --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 15:19:18 +0100
> From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: edge-finding

[...]
> On the other hand, many of the tasks one encounters with shards,
pieces
> of papyrus, lead plates, etc. are more on the order of jig-saw puzzle
> problems, and, whereas there are programs for this, none seem overly
> successful. We need to ask the original poster precisely what he is looking
> for.

I was the original enquirer, and I had this latter problem in mind. At
the Wellcome Library where I work, we have some Egyptian papyrus
fragments, badly broken up. We were wondering whether we could scan the
fragments, stick them into some pattern-matching program, and have the
images put into likely patterns of contiguity.

The many leads offered have been extremely helpful, and I'd like to thank
everyone for their suggestions. I have passed the information on to a
colleague here at Wellcome who will decide what to do next.

Best,
Dominik Wujastyk

--
Wellcome Library