13.0278 markup & scholarly practices

Wed, 17 Nov 1999 21:34:54 +0000

From: "Fotis Jannidis" <Fotis.Jannidis@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:29:18 +0100
Subject: Re: 13.0270 markup & scholarly practices

> From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (by way of Humanist
> <humanist@kcl.ac.uk>)
[...]
> I am not advocating that we simply adopt the open source model uncritically
> from the software development community but I would like to see a discussion
> of how such a model could be used to produce scholarly electronic texts for
> research and teaching.

At the moment I am looking into the possibilities of moving the production
of electronic
editions completely to the web using the work and decision flow tools
established by the
open source community. Tools like CVS (and the way they are used in o.s.)
could also
be used to open the production of electronic editions to a wider interested
community of
scholar without sacrificing the scholarly standards. Decisions about the
granularity of
markup could be voted on by the people who have to implement it and use it.
Does anybody know whether any projects already tried this?
Fotis Jannidis

Forum Computerphilologie
Dr. Fotis Jannidis
http://computerphilologie.uni-muenchen.de