13.0281 perfectability of texts

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 18:28:51 +0000

From: Jean-Claude Guédon <guedon@LITTCO.UMontreal.CA>
Subject: Re: 13.0278 markup & scholarly practices
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:03:25 -0500

I find this perspective totally fascinating and it runs very much in
directions that I have been following myself in recent discussions with
French colleagues at CNRS. It deepens and amplifies an idea I have been
pushing about digitization processes and the need to distinguish
between perfection and usability. This idea can be put in rather
familiar, if somewhat startling, terms:

Like little children, texts could come out to the world
rather imperfect, but closely followed by parents and god-parents plus
all sorts of good wishers. Then, through various iteration processes,
they could be e-ducated (cf the latin etymology) out of imperfection
toward ever greater perfection, until reaching redemption and
salvation... :-)

I would like discussion on this theme. Perhaps a separate list should
form on this topic.

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon