13.0288 www.thehungersite.com

Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:47:44 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Paul J. Constantine <pjc6@cornell.edu> (26)
Subject: www.thehungersite.com

[2] From: srlclark <srlclark@easynet.co.uk> (13)
Subject: Hunger Site

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:17:20 +0000
From: Paul J. Constantine <pjc6@cornell.edu>

>Re: 1) 13.0280 validity of www.thehungersite.com?
> by Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

From the November 18th 1999 NY Times:

SECTION: Section G; Page 17; Column 1; Circuits

LENGTH: 1036 words

HEADLINE: Where the Wired Consumer Can Give as Well as Receive

BYLINE: By CATHERINE GREENMAN

... . . Shoppers who are low on funds or just browsing can head to the
Hunger Site (www.hungersite.com), where it's not necessarily the thought,
but the click that counts. Hitting the Donate Free Food button will call up
a page of banner advertisements from companies including Games2Learn and
ProFlowers. Each company pays the Hunger Site a half-cent every time its
advertisement appears, enough to buy a quarter-cup of rice for the United
Nations World Food Program, which serves 80 countries. The combined
sponsors add up to about three cents for each click, ultimately generating
100 tons of food each week, said John Breen, a computer programmer in
Bloomington, Ind., who opened the site in June.

Paul J. Constantine
Head, Reference Services Division
Olin-Kroch-Uris Libraries
Cornell University