13.0328 undergrad looking for good programme

Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:38:07 -0500 (EST)

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 99 10:07:20 CST
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@VMA.SMSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: 12.0578 ACH/ALLC registration reminder

Colleagues:
One of our very best seniors is casting about for an appropriate
graduate program - I'm requesting you aid in identifying a good
place for him.
The student is a double major in English and Philosophy, and
has done a fair amount of work in structualism/poststructuralsm
(as illumined by the history of philosophy, from Plato to
Postmodernism), and some fine cross-disciplinary work in
visualization and design. His senior honors thesis takes up
aesthetic theory, specially Kant and the German idealists on
imagination, and develops out of this a framework for exploring
the works of Virginia Woolf and Wallace Stevens - in part, so as
to critique some central claims in postmodernist literary theory.
The student would like to pursue study in a graduate program that
would allow him to continue his exploration of German Idealism,
postmodernism, philosophy of language, and semiotics. Broadly,
this would be a program that would conjoin (at least) philosophy
and literature.
The student is doctoral material if ever there were such, but is
looking in the first instance for a Master's program.

Comments and suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance, and best
wishes for the holidays and new year.
Cheers,
Charles Ess
Philosophy and Religion