13.0333 Augustine seminar; copyright town meetings

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 03:55:31 CUT

      [1] From: "James J. O'Donnell" <jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu> (48)
            Subject: a new Augustine seminar

      [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (51)
            Subject: NINCH COPYRIGHT TOWN MEETINGS 2000

            Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:22:42 -0500 (EST)
            From: "James J. O'Donnell" <jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu>

    In spring 1994 I taught an Internet seminar on the work and thought of
    Augustine of Hippo, with 500 auditors from around the world. Now, about
    three generations later in Internet time, I propose to repeat the seminar,
    with multiple improvements.

    In spring 2000 (beginning 1/17/2000) I will teach a course for advanced
    undergrads and grad students at Penn called "The Unknown Augustine". For
    now, see http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/augsem.html. The purpose of the
    course is to introduce students to Augustine and his work, but to do so in
    a nontraditional way. We will begin by emphasizing his "ordinary" work --
    sermons and letters, including texts newly discovered in the last twenty
    years -- in order to form a picture of the man and his message and his
    style. Only then will we return to the more familiar works, concluding
    rather than beginning the course by reading the Confessions. It is being
    offered at Penn as Latin 409 (for those who will do substantial reading in
    the original) and Religious Studies 432 (for those who will do most or all
    readings in English).

    I am writing to offer you two ways to participate in this course.

            (1) A small number of individuals will be invited to be
            full participants alongside the students who meet in a
            Penn classroom. We have new software systems to facilitate
            this and it would be a good experiment in just how far and
            well "distance learning" can interact with traditional
            forms. This is the most exciting option. The University
            has agreed to allow us to do this for a one-time fee of
            $200 and I will limit the number of participants in this
            form to no more than one "virtual" student for each
            registered traditional student. If you are interested in
            this option, please write me directly. You will be expected
            to participate fully and perform all assignments, but your
            work will be non-graded and not-for credit.

            (2) If you would simply like to "audit" a limited set of
            the course's activities (mainly an e-mail discussion
            facilitated by weekly summaries of the in-class discussion),
            please send e-mail to listproc@ccat.sas.upenn.edu with
            the simple message "subscribe augsem Your Name" -- and you
            will be added to that list. This old list (augustine@ccat.sas)
            will be discontinued after I send this message -- many of the
            addresses have gone bad and many of the recipients are no longer
            interested. There is no charge for this kind of participation,
            which will resemble (for those of you who were there) the
            1994 internet seminar in form.

    With best wishes to all for the new year: I hope many of you will choose
    to join us in wrestling with Augustine in all his brilliance,
    obstreperousness, charm, and stubbornness!

    Jim O'Donnell
    Classics, U. of Pennsylvania
    jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu