13.0338 trademark dispute

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 21:28:44 CUT

            Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 21:14:33 +0000
            From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
            Subject: Trademark Dispute: Leonardo Art/Science Network under Legal Attack for Use of the Word "Leonardo"

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    January 4, 2000

                                   TRADEMARK DISPUTE
                   Leonardo Art/Science Network under Legal Attack
                             for Use of the Word "Leonardo"
                    <http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/>http://mitpres
    <http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-journals/Leonardo/>http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-jour
    nals/Leonardo/

    I thought readers should know of the latest in a string of recent
    Internet-related trademark disputes - this one regarding the
    well-established and well-respected pioneering Leonardo Art/Science Network
    that, among many other activities, produces the LEONARDO Journal.

    David Green
    ===========

    >Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:45:25 -0800
    >From: Leonardo <isast@sfsu.edu>
    > >
    >PRESS RELEASE, December 20, 1999
    >
    >Leonardo Art/Science Network under Legal Attack
    >for Use of the Word "Leonardo"
    >
    >For further information,
    >contact: Roger Malina: leo@mitpress.mit.edu

    >Roger Malina, Chairman of Leonardo/ISAST, San
    >Francisco, announced Monday that the
    >Association Leonardo in France was being sued
    >for trademark infringement on use of the word
    >"Leonardo."
    >
    >Leonardo/ISAST and Association Leonardo are
    >non-profit scholarly arts organizations working
    >on behalf of a world-wide community of artists,
    >scientists and scholars. Since 1968 this
    >network has produced the scholarly journal
    >Leonardo, now published by the MIT Press of
    >Cambridge, Massachusetts.
    >
    >Leonardo/ISAST and Association Leonardo also
    >award prizes and awards, co-organize
    >conferences and events, and publish Leonardo
    >Music Journal, numerous Leonardo web sites and
    >the Leonardo Book Series through MIT Press.
    >
    >The legal suit against Association Leonardo has
    >been filed in Nanterre, France, by Transasia
    >Corporation and co-complainants. Transasia
    >claims to have recently trademarked in France
    >the names Leonardo, Leonardo Finance, Leonardo
    >Partners, Leonardo Invest and Leonardo Experts.
    >
    >Transasia is claiming over a million dollars in
    >damages based on their claim that a search
    >engine request using the word "Leonardo" brings
    >up not only their web sites but also those of
    >the Leonardo arts organization.
    >
    >The suit asks that the Association Leonardo be
    >forbidden from using the word "Leonardo" in its
    >web site projects or any other products or
    >services.
    >
    >Following issuance of the suit, Transasia asked
    >that a search warrant be served on the legal
    >address of the Association Leonardo, now the
    >home of the widow of Frank Malina - the founder
    >in the 1960s of the Leonardo Journal. The
    >search warrant was served with no prior warning
    >by a squad of eight policemen.
    >
    >Leonardo/ISAST and the Association deplore this
    >attempt to destroy the activities of a 30-year-
    >old network of artists and scientists that has
    >championed the work of artists using new media
    >and the sciences.
    >
    >A Leonardo Legal Defense Fund has been
    >established: donations may be sent to Leonardo,
    >c/o ISAST, 425 Market St., 2nd Floor, San
    >Francisco, CA 94105, USA.
    >
    >Further information on the Leonardo network and
    >its activities can be found on the Leonardo
    >family of art web sites:
    >
    >Leonardo On-Line:
    >http://mitpress.mit.edu/Leonardo
    >
    >Observatoire Leonardo:
    >http://www.olats.org
    >
    >Leonardo Electronic Almanac:
    >http://mitpress.mit.edu/LEA
    >(logon: lea; password: animich)
    >
    > ###
    >Editorial Department
    >LEONARDO
    >425 Market St. 2nd Floor
> [...]
    NINCH-Anounce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninc
    h-announce/>.

                           Humanist Discussion Group