13.0363 workshop announcement

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 13:08:46 CUT

             Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:59:24 +0000
             From: "R.G. Siemens" <RaySiemens@home.com>
             Subject: Workshop Announcement: INSTITUTIONAL READINGS

    [please excuse x-posting; please redistribute]

    INSTITUTIONAL READINGS:
    EARLY MODERN EUROPE AND THE MODERN UNIVERSITY

    Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies
    University of British Columbia
    March 9-11, 2000

    http://www.InstitutionalReadings.org

    Should the university target an elite student population? Should the
    Humanities curriculum, especially at the undergraduate level, attempt to
    foster knowledge of what has been called the Western Tradition, or should
    it introduce students to a wide range of cultural traditions -- even if it
    means slighting canonical Western figures? How might we begin to reconcile
    opposing arguments of those who advocate interdisciplinarity in graduate
    teaching and scholarship with those who view such work as partly or
    altogether "undisciplined"? How should scholars share the credit for
    collaborative work? To what degree might graduate research assistants be
    entitled to a share of the credit for projects with which they have been
    involved? Should we integrate or endeavor to keep apart the traditional
    activities of the school and the operations of the commercial sphere?

    Institutional Readings is a workshop, to be held at the Peter Wall
    Institute for Advanced Studies (9-11 March 2000), where ideas will be
    exchanged about how knowledge of the past could contribute fruitfully to
    present debates within the university and about how awareness of the
    institutional conditions of scholarship could help to improve scholarly
    practices. The meeting will bring a group of Renaissance scholars together
    with a number of experts on the modern university in order to study the
    interrelationship between early modem European culture and the
    institutional culture of the modem academy.

    The goal of Institutional Readings is threefold:

    - to consider how the environment of the university has influenced
    scholarly accounts of Renaissance literature, history, and society;

    - to investigate the origins of academic culture, with special emphasis on
    Renaissance innovations such as the expansion of market relations, the rise
    of vernacular literatures, the tendency toward disciplinary specialization,
    the formation of the modem idea of authorship, and the literature of
    proto-feminism;

    - and to discuss how we might develop a more complete long historical view
    of the university, one that would no doubt involve study of other
    historical periods and other academic areas such as Science, Medicine, and
    Education. We will ask all participants to consider how the knowledge of
    the past could help us make the future university a better place for
    teaching, learning, and doing scholarship.

    Since one of the purposes of the workshop is to outline a cultural history
    of the academy with a special focus on the Renaissance, our focus will not
    be the history of the university per se. Rather than seeking to compare
    sixteenth-century Cambridge University with its present-day counterpart or
    with the American university in Cambridge, Massachusetts, we are inviting
    participants to elaborate a broader account of the relationship between
    some element of early modern culture in toto and the institution of the
    modern university.

    For further information, please explore the workshop's website, at

            http://www.InstitutionalReadings.org

    or contact the organizers, Paul Yachnin and Nancy Frelick, at the addresses
    below.

    Paul Yachnin
    Department of English
    397 - 1873 East Mall
    University of British Columbia
    Vancouver, BC. V6T 1Z1
    Ph: (604) 822-4226
    Fax: (604) 822-6909
    yachnin@interchange.ubc.ca

    Nancy Frelick
    Department of French, Italian, and Hispanic Studies / Comparative Literature
    797 - 1873 East Mall
    University of British Columbia
    Vancouver, BC. V6T 1Z1
    Ph: (604) 822-2365