13.0382 what's interesting about Web pages

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 07:09:37 CUT

       [1] From: "Patrick T. Rourke" <ptrourke@mediaone.net> (115)
             Subject: What's interesting about Web pages?

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (72)
             Subject: Re: 13.0378 what's interesting about Web pages?

       [3] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (27)

             Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:04:12 +0000
             From: "Patrick T. Rourke" <ptrourke@mediaone.net>

    > This is the situation. Two people are given the task of assessing a
    > student's Web page, one of them a tutor in the subject area that the page
    > addresses, the other a tutor in humanities computing. My question is, what
    > criteria does the latter person employ? What from a humanities computing
    > perspective makes the page academically interesting -- or not?

    Dr. McCarty,

    The criteria for evaluation, to me, for at least continuous text-based
    resources* are obvious: the use of new technologies and the adherence to
    open standards (of readibility, of editability, &c.). I'll ignore the "use
    of new technologies" for the moment to simplify my argument (in part because
    it's difficult to manage new technologies and maintain such standards
    without very precise criteria), and ignore databases and non-text resources
    for the same reason.

    Perhaps an analogy to the making of books is in order. What makes a book a
    fine book, aside from the content, is the quality of the printing (the fonts
    and how well they are integrated, how well they represent differences in
    structure and semantic content, use of white space and general readability),
    of the use of illustration (are the illustrations properly processed so that
    one may discern the features of importance in the argument? Are the
    illustrations properly captioned and integrated with the text?) and similar
    design matters, of the paper, of the binding and cover, and of the use of
    the "book-model" (chapters, pagination, indexing, etc.) to organize
    information.

    For an electronic text (to use the simplest example, and one less likely to
    be affected by changes in standards), analogous features would include the
    following standards, which have the virtue of being more forward looking
    than time-bound (at least in the immediate future):

    Did the student use platform-independent markup standards? Platform
    dependence (and technology dependence) is as discussed in another thread the
    biggest headache for librarians. [That's why I think XML has a bright
    future - properly written, the markup code doesn't obscure the content and
    is itself human-readable and "transparent," without reference to a DTD or
    other external document (excepting entities, the one problem area).
    Transparent, human-readable markup would thus by my definition be part of
    "platform independence."]

    Is the student's markup sufficiently upgradeable (e.g., is it XML-valid)?

    Is the student's markup clear and easy to understand (so that future editors
    can more easily upgrade the markup)?

    Is the student's markup tagged in ways that will make linking to the
    document more robust (e.g., either direct linking to each section break, or
    some kind of tagging of sections with id attributes so that in the future
    they will be easily transformed to permit direct linking)?

    Is the student's use of typographic features (directly analogous to the book
    criteria above) clear, unambiguous, and non-distracting?

    What measures has the student taken to ensure the stability of the page and
    its currency (e.g., how easy is it to make changes to the page, are links to
    outside resources relative or absolute [prefer absolute]; are links to
    internal aspects of the associated site relative or absolute [prefer
    relative] - features that improve portability)?

    Has the student worked out a method of indicating revision numbers and dates
    that will be easy for readers to understand, and has the student provided
    for proper archiving of old versions and reference thereto so readers who
    have linked to a section that is no longer printed in the current version
    don't end up with broken links?

    Most importantly, what is the quality of citation in the document? Are the
    resources (whether primary or secondary sources) to which the student has
    linked of a high reliability and stability (e.g., as I've said in another
    forum, resources with URIs like
    http://www.someplace.ac.uk/~tutorsname/essay.html are unstable, as they are
    subject to renaming, and of only moderate reliability, as they do not
    suggest that they have been thoroughly reviewed)? Has the student properly
    integrated his (or her) citations with his argument?

    > There are ancillary questions too. How time-dependent are these criteria?
    > If, as I have observed, they are time-dependent, then let us project into
    > the future a few years and ask the same question with which I began. In
    > five years' time, say, will a Web page be -- from a humanities computing
    > perspective -- at all interesting? If so, where will the interest lie? Of
    > course there's the question of whether anyone will be writing Web pages
    > then, and what metalanguage they will be using, but for purposes of
    > discussion let's say that the Web is still current, and let us further
    > stipulate that HTML is the metalanguage and that it stays more or less the
    > same.

    > If we humanities computing people are creatures of the technological
    > frontier, then where is that frontier now? Unless I am badly mistaken (it
    > happens :-), one patch of the current frontier is in the deployment of
    live
    > data within an argument or other discursive prose. (Envision, if you will,
    > reading someone's argument in which he or she, rather than give a footnote
    > or a quotation, supplies a link to an online database. Envision further
    not
    > just the thrill of getting to look at his or her stuff but also the
    > problems that may arise in relating what the author says, if in the welter
    > of interesting data you can remember, to the data you see.) What's the
    > rhetoric of the situation? How do we train our students to conduct an
    > argument using live data? (Yes, I know, there's the problem of having to
    > train our students to conduct an argument FULL STOP. Where do we turn for
    > wisdom on that subject?)

    I think that simple, unlinked footnotes will eventually become unacceptable
    in electronic publication. A hypercitation, or linked footnote (leaving
    aside how those are manifested on the page, whether with a footnote number
    linked to a traditional footnote linked to the resource, or a direct link to
    a resource, which is preferable), if it is direct enough (and contextualized
    enough) a link to the argument cited actualizes the citing argument's
    reliance upon the cited, and makes it far easier for the reader to compare
    what the citing author says about her resource with what the reader
    perceives about that resource. A footnote to a journal no one can find
    isn't terribly useful; eventually, "footnotes" to print-only resources will
    be of far less utility than hypercitations to online resources for the same
    reason - ease of reference. [Sorry for the bad prose; it's early here.]

    > It seems one little question has turned into several. Discussion on all of
    > them would be quite helpful, among other things to clarify our
    contribution
    > to the training of students. Many of mine these days want to grow up to
    > write Web pages, which among other things means identifying the
    > intellectually stimulating aspects of the technology.
    >
    > Comments?
    >
    > Yours,
    > WM

    I hope this is an appropriate start to such discussion.

    Patrick Rourke (ptrourke@mediaone.net)
    Webmaster, Physical Sciences Inc.
    Evening Instructor, Nashoba Valley Tech HS
    &c.