13.0542 prolixity and barbs

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 14:49:02 CUT

            Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:45:45 +0100 (BST)
            From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
            Subject: a modest request

    Dear Colleagues,

    A colleague recently remarked to me that inclusion of HTML in an e-mail
    message was "so 90s". This is a request to keep that practice buried in
    the last century, please not to let it terrorise your editor, and
    perhaps some recipients of Humanist. Due to the growing amount of
    information that washes up on our shores -- variously, what is a
    valuable find to one is another's flotsam -- we all need to take care
    with what we circulate, indeed what we circulate. I continue to pass
    along conference announcements as far afield as computational
    linguistics because I think that it's good we know about these
    activities, if not know them any further. I also continue to delete most
    of such messages that come along with URLs, since it seems to me rather
    much to burden you with the plain-text versions of announcements you can
    more easily read on the Web. If you are an organiser of an event, or
    someone who circulates announcements of same, I would ask you to
    abbreviate corresponding submissions to Humanist as much as
    possible, and to shun the cursed HTML. (Consider how much better it is
    if YOU take the snips to your own message rather than leave it to the
    sometimes not so tender mercies of a sometimes harried editor. Even the
    sweet peaches of Georgia and the music of Hamza el Din cannot fully
    sustain him who is vexed by prolix announcements and those barbed with
    pointy HTML. Have mercy!

                           Humanist Discussion Group