13.0557 games, learning and teaching

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 19:59:22 CUT

       [1] From: pat gudridge <pgudridg@law.miami.edu> (14)
             Subject: games and teaching

       [2] From: "Mary Dee Harris" <mdharris@acm.org> (74)
             Subject: Re: 13.0554 come out to play?

       [3] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (7)

             Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:44:52 +0100
             From: pat gudridge <pgudridg@law.miami.edu>

    Dear Professor McCarty:

    I can't answer either of your questions, but it seems to me that there's a
    prior question. How can those of us who are already teaching and writing,
    and whose education mostly took place before visual presentation of
    information escaped the limits of television and movies, acquire enough of a
    sense of game dynamics to be able to make use of the new medium? We could,
    I suppose, devote time to Tomb Raider or whatever. But it must be the case
    that someone has tried to explore, in some traditional analytic way, the
    computer/video game form. So too, someone must already have moved beyond
    user manuals, and considered in depth the differences presentation graphics
    make -- perhaps especially when created and displayed "live" in the
    classroom -- for argument and analysis. I suspect that where we are headed
    -- fast -- is interactive, joint student-faculty use of presentation
    software, some of it no doubt in game format.

    Pat Gudridge