13.0571 colour catalogue & arts of memory

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 07:16:30 CUT

       [1] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (10)
             Subject: Re: 13.0569 being had, liking it, but an impractical
                     idea

       [2] From: "P. T. Rourke" <ptrourke@mediaone.net> (30)
             Subject: Being had: Color catalogue not that impractical

       [3] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (37)
             Subject: how people remember things

             Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 08:12:05 +0100
             From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>
             Subject: Re: 13.0569 being had, liking it, but an impractical idea

    Having a list of books by color reminds me of one of my graduate
    teachers, Ruth Wallerstein. Professor Wallerstein had an encyclopedic
    memory -- except for authors and titles. And she didn't like hauling
    her note cards to lectures. So it was quite normal, in Miss
    Wallerstein's class, to hear her say "There's a recent book on John
    Donne that's absolutely central to this discussion, and you'll need to
    consult it for just about any paper you want to write for this course
    It's blue and somewhere near the top shelf...."

    Librarians' dislike of this had nothing whatever to do with her
    teaching. And I don't see that it would take more than one keypress to
    enter the information if there's a slot for color in the DB.