14.0002 online literature

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Sun May 07 2000 - 18:55:46 CUT

             Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 19:50:00 +0100
             From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
             Subject: On-Line Graphics of Hayles's *Posthuman* (Great Online
    Literature)

    Dear Prof. Jennifer de Beer and Prof. Willard McCarty,

    It is really amazing to see, the works of Prof. N. Katherine Hayles,
    who has created a sensation amongst the scholars round the globe, by
    writing a bold book, "How We Became Posthuman". But, most of the scholars
    and researchers don't know that, her POSTHUMAN graphical presentation is
    also available online to read and use in their teaching schedules. During
    my cyberexplorations, I came across her "Posthuman" Hypertext -It looks to
    me that she was using the graphical texts in her teaching at the Institute
    for Theoretical Physics of University of California, Santa Barbara. at
    <http://online.itp.ucsb.edu> Also, a near dear friend of Prof. Hayles,
    Prof. Albert Borgmann, who wrote another bold book, "Holding On To Reality"
    has sent me a comment, "Arun, who animates the Internet". I think he is
    right to some extent. I and Internet, most of the times, feel is One.

    The On-Line graphical travels begin with "The Human", which can be found
    at: <http://online.itp.ucsb.edu/online/colloq/hayles1/oh/01.html> -This is
    the starting thread..your journey will be beginning from this very
    hypertext..in all, there are 22 graphical hypertexts are available for
    the visit. The graphical travel is a beginning of the references regarding
    "Liberal Humanist Subject" to the next "Dismantling of the Liberal Humanist
    Subject"..there she tried to classify the *Cybernetics* in Two Periods..to
    next the train of graphical hypertext stops at some references regarding
    "Virtuality" and "The Posthuman"..and then the significant "Split" is taken
    place as, *How Important is Embodiment to Posthuman?* and from the slide 6,
    the travel enters into the era of "Contemporary Literature" explaining the
    *Images of the Posthuman* and *Materiality*.

    >From this very pointer at
    <http://online.itp.ucsb.edu/online/colloq/hayles1/oh/09.html>
    you will read an excerpt from his latest book..the Excerpt is about *How
    Does It Mean To Be Posthuman?* and *What are we to make of the
    Posthuman?* The slide further goes to 13 more and by then you will be
    reading more great and tantalising references regarding the Posthuman.

    Travel of Posthuman ends..and now you might also be interested to
    know..that..

    Prof. N. Katherine Hayles, has also written several books, "Chaos and
    Order: Complex Dynamics in Literature and Science", "Chaos Bound: Orderly
    Disorder in Contemporary Literature and Science", "The Cosmic Web:
    Scientific Field Models and Literary Strategies in the Twentieth Century,
    and her latest book, "How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in
    Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics" and others.

    Some useful pointers regarding Prof. Hayles's research:-

    Virtual Bodies and Flickering Signifiers --by N. Katherine Hayles
    <http://englishwww.humnet.ucla.edu/individuals/hayles/Flick.html>

    Liberal Subjectivity Imperiled: Norbert Wiener and Cybernetic Anxiety
    By N. Katherine Hayles
    <http://englishwww.humnet.ucla.edu/individuals/hayles/wiener.htm>

    >From Hyphen to Splice: Cybernetic Syntax in Limbo -by N. Katherine Hayles
    <http://englishwww.humnet.ucla.edu/individuals/hayles/limbo.htm>

    Thanking you.
    Sincerely yours
    Arun Tripathi
    WAOE Multilingual Coordinator
    on Public Information Committee
    and Research Scholar
    at (University of Dortmund)
    UNI DO, Germany))
    Net Messenger
    Cyberexplorer
    <http://www.angelfire.com/ks/learning/educate.html>
    <http://www.angelfire.com/ks/learning/index.html>

         ARUN KUMAR TRIPATHI, C/O Braun, Luetgenholthauser Strasse 99
    44225,Dortmund,Germany  ONLINE INTERNET EDUCATOR on the GLOBAL SCALE
    Appointed Officer: WAOE Multilingual Coordinator on Public Info Committee
    National Advisory Board Member for AmericaTakingAction, National Network
               <http://www.americatakingaction.com/board/arun.htm>
    Karen Ellis's The Educational Playground at <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
       PrevGES -News Editor <http://www.egroups.com/group/prevges/info.html>
    Member of Commissioner's E-mail List: http://www.firn.edu/commissioner
       Short Online Bio of Arun at: http://www.iteachnet.com/resume/akumar.html
                            The Internet in Education at:
    <http://www.techlearning.com/db_area/archives/WCE/archives/tripathi.htm>
                    E-mail: <tripathi@statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
                      Guest Moderator for Online-Ed Listserv
          Research Scholar, Department of Statistics University Of Dortmund
              Internet Search Expert, EdResource Listserv Moderator
                  <http://www.egroups.com/group/edresource/info.html>
                MEMBER, IEEE Computer Society: <http://www.computer.org>