14.0037 down with conferences

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 08:29:39 CUT

       [1] From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com> (19)
             Subject: Re: 14.0033 down with conferences

       [2] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (5)

             Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 09:05:17 +0100
             From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>

    This is oddly out of context; as I said in my original post, I was not
    speaking about conditions abroad. Too often I've been asked to speak at
    conferences in the US (or be a panelist, etc.) - and have then been asked
    to pay conference fees, travel, and accommodation. I am unaffiliated, and
    simply do not have this kind of money - a position a great many people I
    know are in. The result is that conferences become a kind of elitist
    filtering; we have no departments behind us, etc.

    I should say I am furious about this; it is not enough that we have to
    think our way - but that we should also pay for the presentation of our
    thinking.

    I realize that some conferences are strapped, particularly academic ones,
    but I strongly believe that FROM THE BEGINNING accommodation has to be
    made for the poor and/or unaffiliated. Without that, intellectual life in
    America will continue on its foreclosed managerial and self-congratula-
    tory path.

    Alan Sondheim

    Internet Text at http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
    Partial at http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html