14.0041 down with conferences

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 05:21:55 CUT

       [1] From: "Jennifer de Beer" <jennifer@grove.uct.ac.za> (41)
             Subject: Re: 14.0037 down with conferences

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (39)

       [3] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (23)

       [4] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (20)
             Subject: alternative to expensive conferences

             Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 06:05:05 +0100
             From: "Jennifer de Beer" <jennifer@grove.uct.ac.za>

    > Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 09:05:51 +0100
    > From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>
    > >
    > Do people actually think that it doesn't cost anything to put on a
    > conference, or that the host University will pay all the costs ?
    > Both notions are wrong. If you don't want to pay the fees, don't
    > go. It's pretty simple.
    >
    > I gather some people feel forced to attend conferences -- I have
    > never been in a school that insists on attendance..

    Yes, it costs to host such an event, and yes, the host institution is
    not (especially these days) able to foot the bill of speakers. This
    goes without saying, and hence the initiation of this discussion.

    As more and more people turn to freelance cf. full-time employment,
    it is more than likely that sources of sponsorship will be sorely
    lacking. Also, those institutions which do sponsor their employees'
    attendance, have evermore limited means with which to do so.

    Forced attendance: In days gone by, in addition to belonging to
    a scholarly or some such society, a conference presented the ideal
    forum at which to interact with one's peers. These days, it is more
    often the case that such interaction occurs online. Nevertheless,
    conferences remain, and so they should. What we should be looking at
    rather are alternative funding mechanisms or means of sponsorship
    (until such time that ample bandwidth and concomitant
    developments in technology will enable mass gatherings of a similar
    sort).

    Best,

    Jennifer

    ========

    Jennifer de Beer
    Cape Library Cooperative (CALICO) & INFOLIT
    c/o the Adamastor Trust
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Tel: +27 (0)21 686-5070 Fax: +27 (0)21 689-7465
    E-mail: jennifer@adamastor.ac.za
    Regional Research Update: http://www.adamastor.ac.za/Academic/rru/index.htm
    CALICO: http://www.adamastor.ac.za/Academic/Calico/portal.htm
    INFOLIT: http://www.adamastor.ac.za/Academic/Infolit/default.htm

    POINT TO PONDER:
    Complex machines are an emergent life form
                             The Post-Human Manifesto 8.13