14.0045 down with conferences

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 06:15:20 CUT

       [1] From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com> (15)
             Subject: Re: 14.0041 down with conferences

       [2] From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk> (27)

       [3] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (33)

       [4] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (41)
             Subject: conferences and the intellectual life

             Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 07:01:46 +0100
             From: Alan Sondheim <sondheim@panix.com>

    The problem with conferences is that it's not a random group of people who
    are excluded; it's a specific group - i.e. the unaffiliated and/or the
    poor. This creates a closure in academia - the conferences I've been to
    have been 90% social/networking, and people who can't make them simply
    don't get the contacts.

    The second point is, that we all know that conferences cost; I've done
    some conference organization myself. But you can plan right from the start
    to make it easier on people who literally can't afford attending otherwise
    and who have been asked to present and/or be on a panel.

    These issues are serious, I think, because already there is too great a
    distance between academia/humanities and the street - and basically closed
    conferences make it worse.

    Alan (sondheim@panix.com)

    Internet Text at http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt
    Partial at http://lists.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html