14.0083 new on WWW: Italian history; Nunberg's pieces

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 06:11:43 CUT

       [1] From: Serge Noiret <noiret@datacomm.iue.it> (60)
             Subject: The "Best of the WWW VL Italian History Index"

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (32)
             Subject: today's coo-uhl web site

             Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:00:43 +0100
             From: Serge Noiret <noiret@datacomm.iue.it>

    [Apologies for cross-posting]

    Dear members of H-ITALY, H-HISTBIBL, HISTOPS-L, SISSCO, LASTORIA.IT and
    HUMANIST Discussion Group,

    Since June 15th 2000, the WWW VL Italian History Index, which is part of
    the World Wide Web Virtual Library (WWW VL) and of the WWW VL History
    Project maintained in Kansas by Lynn H.Nelson,
    [http://www.ukans.edu/history/VL/index.html] has been offering a page
    entitled "Best of the WWW VL Italian History Index".

    This page consists of a list of web-sites which we think are the best
    Italian History sites on the Internet. Non-Italian sites dealing with
    Italian History form part of the WWW VL Italian History Index but are
    not yet part of this selection. In the future we will make a distinction
    between the best of the non-Italian web-sites AND the best of the
    Italian sites dealing with Italian History. In order to be eligible
    for this list of scientifically evaluated sites, all web-sites should
    also be totally and freely accessible to a world-wide public without any
    kind of restriction.

    "Best of the WWW VL Italian History Index" will list only those
    scientifically important Italian History sites which meet
    a set of scientific criteria shortly to be established by an academic
    board of editors. The list of sites will be regularly monitored to
    verify that all sites are frequently updated and maintained.

    A logo will be sent first to the best Italian History sites produced in
    Italy (all periods) and at a later stage to non-Italian sites devoted to
    Italian History. The best sites are available at the following URL:

    [http://sissco.iue.it/VL/hist-italy/best.html]

    Please remember that the Sisscoweb site is available at

    [http://sissco.iue.it]

    and the WWW VL Italian History Index at:

    [http://sissco.iue.it/VL/hist-italy/Index.html]

    We would like to invite you to submit Italian History sites - whether
    produced in Italy or elsewhere - if you think that they could be listed
    in the "Best of the WWW VL Italian History". The selection criteria
    (which can vary according to the type of site being evaluated) include:

    -easy navigation and understanding of the site contents;
    -scientific and scholarly importance of the contents whether the page is
    a bibliography, a reference work, an original source, an
    e-journal, a collection of e-texts, another index of e-resources, a
    collection of essays, a discussion list, etc.;
    -good graphical presentation;
    - browser-friendly;
    -free access to all contents;
    -no publicity except for the sponsor of the site, if there is one;
    -academic board of editors and/or clearly stated author(s) of the site;
    -clear description of the scientific aims and means used to build and
    maintain the site.

    Thank you very much for your help and suggestions of potential sites and
    other possible criteria to add to this above list.
    Again sorry if you are member of all the lists I have sent my mail to !

    --
    Serge Noiret
    Ph.D. in Contemporary History

    European University Institute Address: Via dei Roccetini 9 ~ I50016 San Domenico (FI) - Italy Phone: +39-0554685-348 ~ Fax +39-0554685-283

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:01:38 +0100 From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> Subject: today's coo-uhl web site

    Humanists will enjoy reading Geoffrey Nunberg's commentary on electronic lists, "Gimcrack Nation", at<http://www.parc.xerox.com/istl/members/nunberg/gimcrack.html>. Nunberg (Xerox PARC, Stanford) edited the fine collection of essays entitled The Future of the Book (California, 1996) and turns up regularly on National Public Radio in the U.S. His other online items are well worth looking at, for which see <http://www.parc.xerox.com/istl/members/nunberg/radio.html>. Of the pieces done on NPR I note "An Interjection for the Age" (on the word "whatever") and "Rebirth of the "Cool" (on the survival of the word "cool"), and "Checking it out" (on Web searching).

    In "Gimcrack Nation" Nunberg compares the contents of the Linguist list to the early numbers of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (1665--). He finds no evidence that the boundaries of his discipline are being eroded by the e-medium, rather thinks that they are if anything strengthened. But he does point to the making public of the formerly privatised discourse within the fold. In former times, he says,

    >The amateur epistemologizing and sociologizing, the pedagogical and >technical lore, the gossip, the institutional politics, the anecdotal >observations about curiosities that lay outside the realm of current theory > all of this was relegated to the classroom, to the cafeteria, or to >private letters, and allowed to surface publicly only in privileged contexts >like necrologies, histories of the field, or the "News and Views" column of >Science. And as I suggested a moment ago, what is most compelling about the >Linguist List and its analogues in other sciences is the effect of seeing >all of this material suddently bubbling forth into public view.

    Enjoy.

    WM

    ----- Dr Willard McCarty / Centre for Computing in the Humanities / King's College London / Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. / voice: +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / fax: +44 (0)20 7848-2980 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/ maui gratias agere