14.0105 on commentaries

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 06:16:00 CUT

             Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 06:55:40 +0100
             From: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (James J. O'Donnell)
             Subject: Re: 14.0101 on commentaries

    willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> wrote:

    > Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:16:57 +0100
    > From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    A well-chosen subject line for a message that eventually comes to dwell on
    *ejaculatory* prayer . . .

    > Slowly, I am saddened that a distinguished scholar of Augustine would
    > rehash orality/literacy dichotomies in order to argue in a
    > technologically deterministic fashion that certain material
    > practices entrench hierarchies.

    People wield the trenching tool, not practices (the practices are
    themselves tools), but it is hardly determinism to say that different
    kinds of things have different kinds of qualities. What is remarkable in
    this discussion is that "commentary" is accepted as a generic descriptor
    of a wide variety of cultural practices, some of which involve only the
    spoken word, some both spoken and written, some written only (and
    "written" ranging from handwritten MS to xml text, shortly to be expanded
    by reintroducing oral and no doubt visual commentary material). My
    purpose in writing was to suggest some of the distinctions that obtain
    between what, e.g., a fourth century bishop does in his pulpit, what a
    thirteenth century monk does in his cell, and what a 20th century scholar
    does on his laptop at 40,000 feet. In doing so, I did not mean to efface
    the discourse of resemblance that links those things, but only to
    supplement that with observation of disresemblance and to encourage us to
    catalogue the latter thoughtfully.

    In doing so, I take it to be fundamental that commentary brings two texts
    in contact with each other: the commentary and its object. And I further
    observe that the relationship between those texts varies sharply in
    response to a variety of factors. *Pale Fire* and Robert Grudin's
    wonderful *Book: A Novel* offer extreme cases where the *apparent*
    hierarchy is subverted.

    But a 13th century scholastic or 20th century academic commentary on an
    authoritative text will offer (to my mind) a subtler form of subversion.
    Aquinas on Aristotle: which is the *authority*? We can argue. But
    Aristotle's text *persists* in that commentary, for reasons that are at
    least in part mechanical. As Lachance points out (preserved below) the
    e-text is one that *can* (and therefore often will) readily lose the
    text-commented-upon as the commentary survives. The decline of same-page
    commentary printing has anticipated this in print for fifty years.

    The only other thing I will say for now is that both Lachance and Siemens
    (quotation also preserved below, as object of commentary) are devotees of
    the commentary form, seeking its preservation in cybertext. Moi aussi.
    But I *surmise* that we are among the few, the proud, and the brave in
    this regard, and that the cultural momentum of new forms will not
    emphasize commentary-relations. We can dream of the scholarly journal as
    talmud-on-talmud (you write article with footnotes, I add some footnotes,
    you add some footnotes to mine, somebody else adds some more footnotes),
    but that will represent that extreme elaboration of an old form by a few
    devotees. I would expect new media in the main to accelerate and
    reinforce more popular tendencies in the culture, tendencies whereby the
    new text effaces and replaces and forgets the old. I could be wrong.

    Jim O'Donnell
    Classics, U. of Penn
    jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu