14.0111 conference (York), symposium (Arlington VA)

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 06:43:24 CUT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (111)
             Subject: CEDARS Conference & Workshop on Long-Term
                     Preservation: York, UK

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (307)
             Subject: USPTO Symposium: "Protecting Intellectual Property in
                     the Digital Age" Sept 11-12, Crystal City, Arlington,
                     VA

             Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:37:01 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: CEDARS Conference & Workshop on Long-Term Preservation:
    York, UK

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    July 11, 2000

          CEDARS WORKSHOP: Information Infrastructures for Digital Preservation
                             December 6 2000: York, UK

                         CEDARS CONFERENCE: Preservation 2000
                   An International Conference on the Preservation
                   and Long Term Accessibility of Digital Materials
                     <<http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/events/cedars-2000/>http://www.ukol
    <<http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/events/cedars-2000/>http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/events/c
    edars-2000/>

    >From: Nancy_Elkington@notes.rlg.org
    >>Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:50:25 +0100
    >
    >Dear Colleagues,
    >
    >Please forgive inevitable cross-postings. For anyone interested in
    >the long-term preservation of digital materials - the two events
    >below will be of interest. Registration and booking details now
    >available! Book early to avoid disappointment.
    >
    >Notice of two events for Dec 2000 for the CEDARS Projects, co-
    >ordinated by UKOLN and supported by RLG, OCLC and JISC
    >Information Infrastructures for Digital Preservation: A One Day
    >Workshop,
    >6th December 2000
    >
    >Preservation 2000: An International Conference on the
    >Preservation and Long Term Accessibility of Digital Materials
    >7/8 December 2000
    >URL://www.ukoln.ac.uk/events/cedars-2000/
    >
    >Both events are to be held at the Viking Moat House Hotel, North
    >Street, York, YO1 1JF United Kingdom
    >
    >Information and the booking form for these events is now available
    >at the above URL.

    FROM THE WEBSITE:

    "As we enter the new millennium, many organisations and individuals share
    concerns about our ability to bring with us the vast array of digital
    materials accumulated in libraries, archives, museums and other cultural
    and heritage organisations. Preservation 2000 promises to bring together
    experts and enthusiasts from a variety of disciplines and organisations to
    discuss and debate recent advances in this critical area. This state of
    the art conference will make the most of both the interdisciplinary and
    international dimensions which are key to facing the challenges imposed by
    long term access to digital objects.

    "The aim of the conference is to facilitate meaningful dialogue between the
    wide array of organisations and individuals currently working with digital
    archives and preservation. The main goal for the conference is to share,
    disseminate and discuss current key issues concerning the preservation of
    digital materials.

    "The conference will focus the programme around three main strands:

    ** Models for digital archives including technical and organisational issues
            related to access and management
    ** Economic and Cost Modelling for digital preservation
    ** Content and selection issues for long term preservation

    "A call for papers was issued earlier this year and reviewing is now taking
    place. A provisional programme will be available in early August which is
    likely to include:

    ** Exemplars for the establishment of digital archives systems and services

    ** Management practices commonly required by libraries and archives in
    addressing the
           longevity of digital collections
    ** Business models for digital archives (e.g. collaborative or federated
    repositories)
    ** Frameworks for the development of digital collection management policies
    including
           selection or materials
    ** Intellectual property rights: digital preservation issues
    ** Security, authentication and authenticity in digital archives
    ** Electronic publishing and digital archives"

    Information Infrastructures for Digital Preservation: A One-Day workshop, 6
    December 2000

    "In addition, a one-day workshop will be held in conjunction with the
    conference which will focus on the necessary information infrastructure for
    preserving digital materials over the long term. This intensive day will
    include presentations and papers on current work in digital preservation
    metadata and standards for description as well as provide an opportunity
    for those interested in the area to participate in discussions and debate
    concerning developments in this key area. A maximum of 60 places are
    available for the workshop.

    "The conference and workshop have been costed separately but a single fee
    is also available to cover attendance at both events."

    ---------------------------

    Nancy Elkington +44 (0) 207 862-8416
    (phone)
    RLG Member Initiatives +44 (0) 207 862-8480 (fax)
    c/o University of London Library nancy.elkington@notes.rlg
    Senate House, Malet Street www.rlg.ac.uk/toc.html
    London WC1E 7HU UK
    ---------------------------
    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninc
    h-announce/>.