14.0126 expressive technology conference

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 07:12:53 CUT

             Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:42:06 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: Conference: Metamorphoses 2000: Expressive Technology,
    Art and Humanities

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    July 18, 2000

                Metamorphoses 2000: Expressive Technology, Art and
    Humanities
                        Fourteenth Annual National Conference on
                        Liberal Arts and the Education of Artists
                     October 18-20, 2000: School of Visual Arts, NYC
                <http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/NewsEvents/indexhtml.html>http
    <http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/NewsEvents/indexhtml.html>http://www.scho
    olofvisualarts.edu/NewsEvents/indexhtml.html

    >From:
    >Arts Wire CURRENT July 18, 2000
    >Arts Wire CURRENT Volume 9, No. 29
    >Arts Wire CURRENT
    >Arts Wire CURRENT Judy Malloy, Editor
    >Arts Wire CURRENT jmalloy@artswire.org
    >CONFERENCES, SYMPOSIA, LECTURES
    >
    >NEW YORK CITY, NY
    >October 18-20, 2000
    >The School of Visual Arts
    >
    >Fourteenth Annual National Conference on Liberal Arts and the
    >Education of Artists: EXPRESSIVE TECHNOLOGY, ART AND HUMANITIES
    >
    >"While some educators fear that students no longer aspire to
    >creativity, demanding instead to be taught technique, others
    >believe that the union between machine and art forces a
    >reconsideration of what is real and what is simulacrum; what is
    >self and what is other; and which self among the many is the real
    >one," the Conference states.
    >
    >This year's keynote speaker is computer Scientist, composer,
    >visual artist, Author Jaron Lanier. Presenters nationwide will
    >discuss how expressive technologies for art and communication have
    >changed society and will continue to do so. Participants were
    >invited from art colleges, universities, and other institutions
    >that have an interest in educating artists.
    >
    >Sessions are projected to include:
    >
    >Visual Art (online performance; art gallery vs. virtual space; web
    >art; the visual essay; interactive storytelling)
    >
    >The Liberal Arts (microanalysis, open-source programs; email and
    >the return of the word, computer assisted writing)
    >
    >The Virtual School (Internet courses, virtual pedagogy and the
    >virtual instructor)
    >
    >Interdisciplinary & General Topics (the role of liberal arts on
    >education of the artists; art programs in a university context;
    >art students; teaching; art criticism; art history;
    >administration)
    >
    >For more information, visit:
    ><http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/NewsEvents/indexhtml.html>http://www.sch
    >oolofvisualarts.edu/NewsEvents/indexhtml.html

    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninc
    h-announce/>.