14.0129 Internet music technologies

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 07:13:21 CUT

             Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:44:04 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: News: "MUSICIANS, EXECS TESTIFY TO CONGRESS ABOUT
    INTERNET MUSIC TECHNOLOGIES"

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    July 18, 2000

          MUSICIANS, EXECS TESTIFY TO CONGRESS ABOUT INTERNET MUSIC TECHNOLOGIES
                      <http://www.artswire.org/current.html#news2>http://www.arts
    <http://www.artswire.org/current.html#news2>http://www.artswire.org/current.
    html#news2

    I thought this was a good account of the recent Congressional testimony on
    the impact of new technologies on the delivery of music, with good
    references at the foot.

    David Green
    ===========

    >Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:20:16 -0700
    >To: current@artswire.org
    >From: Arts Wire Current <awcurr@artswire.org>
    >>
    >From:
    >Arts Wire CURRENT July 18, 2000
    >Arts Wire CURRENT Volume 9, No. 29
    >Arts Wire CURRENT
    >Arts Wire CURRENT Judy Malloy, Editor
    >Arts Wire CURRENT jmalloy@artswire.org
    >
    >Arts Wire CURRENT is a project of Arts Wire, a national
    >computer-based network serving the arts community. Arts Wire
    >CURRENT features news updates on social, economic, philosophical,
    >and political issues affecting the arts and culture. Your
    >contributions are invited. Contact Judy Malloy, editor, at
    >jmalloy@artswire.org
    >MUSICIANS, EXECS TESTIFY TO CONGRESS ABOUT INTERNET MUSIC TECHNOLOGIES
    >
    >WASHINGTON, DC -- Last week a U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee
    >hearing examined how music-swapping software -- as used by Napster
    >and other MP3 companies -- impacts on musicians and record
    >labels.
    >
    >Musicians and music industry executives -- including Metallica
    >drummer Lars Ulrich; Roger McGuinn, co-founder of The Byrds;
    >Napster's new Chief Executive Hank Barry; Michael Robertson, the
    >founder of MP3.com; and Gene Hoffman, Jr., founder and
    >chief executive officer of Emusic.com, Inc. -- testified to
    >Senators Orrin Hatch, Diane Feinstein, Patrick Leahy, Charles
    >Schumer, and others.
    >
    >"I love the innovation that is coming in the digital world," ZDNET
    >INTER@CTIVE WEEK quotes Sen. Leahy (D-VT) as saying. "But we're
    >not going to have photographers, artists and others contributing
    >unless there is some gain to them. And so we're going to have to
    >figure out how to do that."
    >
    >Online uses of MP3 (a file format for storing digital audio with
    >audio quality rivaling that of CDs but requiring a tenth the size
    >of normal audio files) have engendered several court cases
    >recently -- notably a suit by the Recording Industry Association
    >of America (RIAA) against Napster (which facilitates locating and
    >downloading music in MP3 format) and a recent court decision in
    >which a federal judge found in favor of a recording industry
    >group, ruling that MP3.com's My.MP3.com service was violating
    >their copyrights by allowing users to access about 80,000 CDs in
    >its database.
    >
    >"I don't have a problem with any artist voluntarily distributing
    >his or her songs through any means the artist elects-- at no cost
    >to the consumer, if that's what the artist wants," Lars Ulrich
    >told the Committee. "But just like a carpenter who crafts a table
    >gets to decide whether to keep it, sell it or give it away ,
    >shouldn't we have the same options? My band authored the music
    >which is Napster's lifeblood. We should decide what happens to
    >it, not Napster -- a company with no rights in our recordings,
    >which never invested a penny in Metallica's music or had anything
    >to do with its creation. The choice has been taken away from us."

> [...]

    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninc
    h-announce/>.