14.0162 King's publishing venture

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 18:42:48 CUT

             Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 19:36:54 +0100
             From: Paul Brians <brians@mail.wsu.edu>
             Subject: Re; Interesting wrinkle on King's venture

    R. Polk Wagner wrote:
    >[Stephen King's] explicitly asking people to pay for his future services. The
    >traditional theory of intellectual property would not consider this
    >possibility. Classic intellectual property theory holds that producers must
    >get paid for the works they've already created, not works they've yet to
    >produce."

    Hasn't Mr. Wagner ever heard of an advance? I believe Mark Twain sold some
    of his works by advance subscription through canvassers. Writers like King
    take it as a given that they will be paid vast sums by publishers before
    setting pen to paper. Many such paid-for works are in fact never written
    when writers fail to follow through with the promised work. King isn't
    doing anything so very radical by asking to be paid in advance; he's simply
    cutting out the middle party--the publisher.

    --
    Paul Brians, Department of English
    Washington State University