14.0174 two questions

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 06:40:39 CUT

       [1] From: SJ Stauffer <stauffes@gusun.georgetown.edu> (46)
             Subject: Why "cyberspace"?: Why "computing"?

       [2] From: "Chris McMahon" <pharmakeus@hotmail.com> (52)
             Subject: Re: 14.0172 new on WWW

             Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 07:33:10 +0100
             From: SJ Stauffer <stauffes@gusun.georgetown.edu>

    >> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:43:08 +0100
    >> From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
    >> >>
    >> Dear colleagues,
    >>
    >> Perhaps someone might be interested in persuading
    >> me and, I suppose, some others that the metaphor of
    >> "cyberspace" actually contributes something to
    >> our ability to talk about computing and its cultural
    >> consequences. In other words, what does this term mean?
    >> What is spatial, and what good does it do
    >> for us to speak in spatial terms about computing when the physical
    >> disposition of computers and people is not the issue?

    The original question leads me to another. Why *should* the metaphor of
    "cyberspace" contribute to our ability to talk about computing and its
    cultural consequences?

    Do the readers of Humanist have a uniform understanding of the term
    "computing"? Does "computing" include anything that is done with the use
    of a computer? This would seem to be a somewhat old-fashioned definition,
    but it *is* one that would encompass the sending of e-mail as well as the
    crunching of numbers.

    I wonder, though, how many, er, denizens of cyberspace would consider what
    they did in cyberspace (or the very act of entering cyberspace) to be
    "computing." MOOing, Napstering, checking out the stock market, IRCing,
    listening to David Sedaris on NPR online: Would the average person (or
    even any of the participants in this discussion) apply the term to any of
    this? The spatial metaphor works for these activities, and it's
    interesting to consider the cultural consequences of these activities
    where often the physical disposition of the participants and by extension
    their computers is an issue, both to the participants and to the social
    scientists who study their interactions. But that's different from
    considering the cultural consequences of computing if "computing" does not
    simply mean "anything done with a computer" but something more like "the
    application of computational methods (e.g. problem definition, problem
    analysis, writing code, testing, debugging) to solving problems or
    answering questions in a given field."

    As you-pl drink your morning or afternoon or evening coffees or teas, take
    a look at the Atlas of Cyberspaces at
    <http://www.geog.ucl.ac.uk/casa/martin/atlas/atlas.html>, with maps in the
    categories listed below.

    | Conceptual | Artistic | Geographic | Cables & Satellites
    | Traceroutes | Census | Topology | Info Maps | Info Landscapes
    | Info Spaces | ISP Maps | Web Site Maps | Surf Maps
    | MUDs & Virtual Worlds | Historical

    Stephanie Stauffer
    Center for Applied Linguistics