14.0270 noisy libraries

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 09/26/00

             Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:17:02 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: noisy vs signalful

      >          From: Jennifer De Beer <jennifer_de_beer@yahoo.com>
      >          [snip]

      > The concept 'digital library' implies networked
      > access, no? And that the users are not all located in
      > the same physical space. Hence the noisy library is
      > not the traditional physical space / building, but
      > rather a cyber one. In the latter instance noisiness
      > is good (as long as the infrastructure can handle the
      > load/hit rate)

    In which case, could we not suggest that the good, effective, efficient
    cyber library is "signal full" rather than noisy --- the transactions are
    themselves a source of information that can help guide the management of
    the infrastructure...

    one researcher's noise -- another's signal

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    	http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance