14.0289 neural circuitry?

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/03/00

             Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 07:55:57 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: metaphors

    A more or less random quotation from Daniel Goleman, Emotional Intelligence
    (NY: Bantam, 1995): "The timid child enters adult life with neural
    circuitry that...." Really?

    My question: what freight does the metaphor of electrical circuitry carry?
    What does this metaphor do for us, for the author? Context suggests that he
    "means" something like this: "The timid child enters adult life with a
    predisposition for...." Use of the former rather than the latter when the
    physiology and neurology of the brain is *not* under discussion suggests
    that the cultural assimilation of computing has gone rather far. Is it
    becoming more and more difficult to get computing into perspective because
    of such metaphors? It's not as if we can do much about this -- except in
    the classroom, where I'd think it's rather important to point out that the
    way computers process data is very different from however it is that we
    think about artefacts, and that this difference is our real subject.

    Comments?

    Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
    voice: +44 (0)20 7848 2784 fax: +44 (0)20 7848 5081
    <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> <http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/>
    maui gratias agere