14.0296 Latin letter frequency

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/04/00

            Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 04:14:49 -0700 (PDT)
            From: "[iso-8859-1] Melissa Terras" <melslists@yahoo.com>
            Subject: Re:  Latin Letter Frequency?

    Thanks to all who have replied to this thread, its
    been very helpful. I was very aware that I asked a
    vague "how long is a piece of string" question, and
    know that the use of classical corpora is fraught with
    a number of problems.

    What I'm actually doing is undertaking a statistical
    analysis of the Latin in the Vindolanda Writing
    Tablets to help propogate some probabilities that will
    help the  papyrologists at Oxford read the Vindolanda
    Stylus Tablets, which are so deteriorated they are
    practically illegible. I havent found much of this
    type of work done before with Latin - or any language
    in humanities research- although natural language
    processing and cryptography have developed many
    techniques to undertake this kind of "code-cracking",
    and so I'm adopting some of those. Or plan to at the
    moment ;)

    Nevertheless, the pointers given on the list have
    given me plenty to chase up. Thanks.

    Melissa

    Melissa M Terras MA MSc
    Engineering Science / Centre for the Study of Ancient
    Documents
    Christ Church
    University of Oxford
    Oxford 0X1 1DP