14.0305 readings on hyper-linking

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/04/00

       [1]   From:    John Bradley <john.bradley@kcl.ac.uk>               (27)
             Subject: Re: 14.0300 recommended readings for Hypertext

       [2]   From:    "Fotis Jannidis" <fotis.jannidis@lrz.uni-           (16)
                     muenchen.de>
             Subject: Re: 14.0300 recommended readings?

       [3]   From:    BRUNI <jbrun@eagle.cc.ukans.edu>                    (15)

             Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 22:11:42 +0100
             From: John Bradley <john.bradley@kcl.ac.uk>

    On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 06:40:23 -0400 (EDT) Humanist Discussion Group
    <willard@lists.village.virginia.edu> wrote:

    [...]

      > 2. the design of more sophisticated linking than we currently have,
      > which is to say not merely named or typified links (as already
      > implemented in the old PARC NoteCards software) but links with other
      > attributes to indicate, for example, scope and what one might call
      > intensity or tentativeness. I would be esp glad to learn of an essay
      > based on a model for any conventional form, literary allusion being
      > perhaps the most comprehensive and difficult.

    [...]

    Willard:

    The TEI P3 provides some rather technical material on the issue
    of more sophisticated linking than the kind of HREF linking
    provided in HTML, and presents them in the context of scholarly
    work. Indeed, many of the strategies discussed for the encoding
    of scholarly analytical materials in the TEI are based on its
    modelling of hypertextual linking. I don't know this for sure,
    but it appears to me that the TEI's work has influenced both the
    development of HyTime -- an SGML-based scheme which was designed
    specifically to, among other things, provide means to represent
    technically sophisticated linking models -- and more recently
    XML's XLink and XPointer.

                                               ... john b
    John Bradley
    john.bradley@kcl.ac.uk