14.0310 readings & thoughts on hyperlinking

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/05/00

       [1]   From:    Einat Amitay <einat@ics.mq.edu.au>                  (47)
             Subject: Re: 14.0300 recommended readings?

       [2]   From:    lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)      (48)
             Subject: a link or linking?

             Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 06:17:59 +0100
             From: Einat Amitay <einat@ics.mq.edu.au>

    Hi Willard,

      > 1. the effects of hypertextual linking on compositional practice, by
      > which I mean, how using hypertextual links changes the way one writes
      > and esp how such linking influences or could influence the design of
      > scholarly forms, such as the critical essay, edition, commentary etc.

    This is a fraction from my own list (this is the subject of my studies so
    far):

    The first links to view are

    http://www.acm.org/pubs/contents/proceedings/series/ht/
    (the ACM HyperText conference series)

    http://www.eastgate.com/
    (the Eastgate hypertext project/source)

    Then you might want to look at:

    Bernstein M. (1998). Patterns of hypertext. in Proceedings of the ninth ACM
    conference on Hypertext and hypermedia: Hypertext98, pp 21-29.

    Haas S.W. & Grams E.S. (2000). Readers, authors, and page structure: A
    discussion of four questions arising from a content analysis of Web pages.
    Journal of the American Society for Information Science (JASIS), 51, 2,
    181-192.

    Foltz, P.W. (1996) Comprehension, Coherence and Strategies in Hypertext and
    Linear text. In Rouet, J.-F., Levonen, J.J., Dillon, A.P. & Spiro, R.J.
    (Eds.) Hypertext and Cognition. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

    Ricardo F.J. (1998). Stalking the paratext: speculations on hypertext links
    as a second order text. in Proceedings of the ninth ACM conference on
    Hypertext and hypermedia: Hypertext98, pp 142-151.

    Erickson T. (1996). The World Wide Web as social hypertext. Communications of
    the ACM, 39:1:15-17.

    Genres and the Web: Is the personal home page the first uniquely digital
    genre?
    Andrew Dillon and Barbara Gushrowski, draft of a paper published in Journal
    of the American Society for Information Science on the genre charatersitcis
    of personal home pages.
    http://www.slis.indiana.edu/adillon/genre.html

    Susana Pajares Tosca. (2000). A pragmatics of links. In Proceedings of
    Hypertext 2000, pp. 77 - 84.
    http://www.acm.org/pubs/citations/proceedings/hypertext/336296/p77-tosca/

    My own work about paragraph structure in Web-hypertext (to appear in JASIS
    January, 2001) last draft:
    http://www.ics.mq.edu.au/~einat/publications/jasis.pdf

    Good luck - and please return some pointers to your own work about the
    subject,

    +:o)
    einat

    --