14.0313 readings & thoughts on hyperlinking

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/05/00

       [1]   From:    Michael Best <mbest1@uvic.ca>                       (34)
             Subject: Re: 14.0300 recommended readings?

       [2]   From:    Rosemary Franklin <franklra@uc.edu>                  (5)
             Subject: Re: 14.0310 readings & thoughts on hyperlinking

       [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>         (59)
             Subject: hyperlinking

             Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:19:33 +0100
             From: Michael Best <mbest1@uvic.ca>

    Willard asks for readings on:

      >the design of more sophisticated linking than we currently have,
      >which is to say not merely named or typified links (as already
      >implemented in the old PARC NoteCards software) but links with other
      >attributes to indicate, for example, scope and what one might call
      >intensity or tentativeness.

    This is not a reading, and I'm not sure whether it is quite what Willard is
    looking for, but the question he raises is a fascinating and important one
    that I have been working with in the development of the Internet
    Shakespeare Editions. In the section on Shakespeare's life and times, aimed
    at an introductory audience but offering extensive bibliographies for more
    advanced students, I have designed three different kinds of links: local to
    the specific page, local to the Life and Times site, and offsite to other
    sites on the Internet that are of relevance to the topic on the page. To do
    this, I have created a kind of visual rhetoric: links local to the page are
    signalled by an asterisk after the final word in the link (on the analogy
    of a footnote in print), and (with advanced browsers) produce a "pop-up"
    note; links to other pages on the site are conventionally highlighted and
    underlined; and links external to the site are signalled by a different
    colour (green) -- they also open a new window in the browser.

    You can visit the latest version of the site (not yet fully public) by
    going directly to this URL:

         <http://web.uvic.ca/shakespeare/Library/SLT/intro/introsubj.html>.

    (all comments will be welcome).

    The "search" links don't work yet, since the site is not public and has not
    yet been re-indexed. The older version, which used frames instead of style
    sheets for its effects is available at

         <http://web.uvic.ca/shakespeare/Library/SLT/fset_whole.htm>.

    Michael Best
    Coordinating Editor, Internet Shakespeare Editions
    <http://web.uvic.ca/shakespeare>

    Department of English, University of Victoria
    Victoria B.C. V8W 3W1, Canada. (250) 598-9575
    <mbest1@uvic.ca>
    <http://www.engl.uvic.ca/Faculty/Best/>