14.0324 hyperlinking and interacting

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/09/00

       [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>         (54)
             Subject: shades of meaning and personal touches

       [2]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>              (12)
             Subject: perfect page

       [3]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (64)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Special HCI Seminar Tuesday 10/10 - Jan Borchers, TU
                     Darmstadt

             Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 07:25:47 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

    In his fine article, "Criticism as commentary and commentary as criticism
    in the age of electronic media" (in Commentaries -- Kommentare, ed. Glenn W
    Most, Aporemata 4, Goettingen), the late Don Fowler wrote that, "The
    commentary is often figured as a more impersonal and objective form of
    scholarship than the monograph or article, despite the distinctly personal
    tone of many of the great commentaries, from Maynor to Nisbet and Hubbard.
    This is clearly not so: commentaries like any other genre of criticism can
    only ever give us one person's view" (p 441). He goes on to illustrate with
    his favourite passage, from Norden's 1916 commentary on Aeneid 6.469, illa
    solo fixos oculos aversa tenebat, "she [Dido], turned away, held her eyes
    fixed on the ground". In his commentary Norden relates an exchange of
    letters with his colleague Heinze, "...so trug ich durch diese Annahme, wie
    mir Heinze brieflich bemerkte, einen falschen Zug in das Bild hinein..."
    Fowler remarks, "Heinze and Norden are the greatest German Latin scholars
    of this century: as the First World War approaches, we see them exchanging
    letters about whether a woman is in love with her ex-lover when she stares
    fixedly at the ground.... The act of commentary here might be taken as
    paradigmatic of philology in general, learned footnotes on the undecidable"
    (p 442).

    I quote one scholar's personal note on another's very personal note to make
    the point that the commentary medium in the right hands requires the
    subtleties of imaginative language, though in a mode not usually recognised
    as such. The commentary may be essentially ad loc., but the skillful
    scholar rings the changes intricately on his or her pointers. Though not in
    Fowler's, Norden's or Heinze's league, I know from personal experience in
    crafting scholarly footnotes that sometimes one has a very fine point to
    make and so takes care, for example, with the difference between
    "vide"/"see" and "cf./compare". Often, yes, "cf." covers a multitude of
    ignorances, serves as a pretentious dumping ground for a list of citations
    intended to impress but not inform (as Anthony Grafton says somewhere, I am
    told, exaggerating the case). But sometimes "cf." is just right, e.g. to
    say "here are instances I think are relevant but don't quite know what to
    do with". Consider also broad references to the work of another -- not to
    any particular spot but to a whole tendency of mind. Thus, to make up an
    example, "In Augustine the typological relationship between Old and New
    Testaments...."

    Ok, so how do we manage this sort of thing electronically?

    One answer is, of course, that we continue to use ordinary language in the
    traditional way with as much skill as we can muster but supplement it with
    hyperlinks. The thought-experiment of attempting to translate *all*
    references and allusions into pointers is, I think, nevertheless a fine
    one. The learned editors of the TEI and their collaborators seem to have
    thought along these or similar lines in designing a much subtler instrument
    than HREF (see, as soon as you finish reading the next sentence, TEI P3
    chapter 14, <http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/tei-tocs4.html>). Would this not
    be properly called modelling allusion? Not that we understand allusion very
    well.

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Centre for Computing in the Humanities/
    King's College London / Strand / London WC2R 2LS U.K./
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / <ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/>
    maui gratias agere