14.0331 errors in e-books, Virginian and otherwise

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/10/00

       [1]   From:    "David M. Seaman" <dms8f@etext.lib.Virginia.EDU>    (28)
             Subject: Re: 14.0323 e-books from Virginia

       [2]   From:    Matthew Sweegan Gibson                              (36)
                     <msg2d@etext.lib.Virginia.EDU>

       [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>         (22)
             Subject: errors in e-books

             Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:50:06 +0100
             From: "David M. Seaman" <dms8f@etext.lib.Virginia.EDU>

    Despite all our best efforts, online texts contain errors -- those
    which we have keyboarded are supposed to be no worse than 1 error in
    20,000 keystrokes (99.995%) and that is typically true.

    We are always delighted to have errors reported by our users -- and
    we check them and fix them as soon as possible.  The Middle English
    Chaucer text mentioned below [not part of the 1,200 MS Reader ebook
    collection whose announcement prompted the comment below] has received
    a lot of work and I'm sure there are still moments of imprecision left.
    As a collector of print editions of Chaucer I can say for certain that
    errors occur in print too.

    The term "publishers" below should be "readers" -- we are not offering
    our ebooks to publishers but to any reader who chooses to download them.
    Already our own additional proofing of the TEI files re-cast in MS Reader
    format have shaken loose some typos and layout clumsiness that we had never
    noticed in their web versions -- and we have had some small number of
    errors reported by grateful readers, who understand that by reporting
    them we can make the book better for the next reader.  This is one of
    the best ways that our users can help us.

    David Seaman
    Etext Center, UVA