14.0337 award nominations; special issue of Convergence

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/10/00

       [1]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                    (44)
             Subject: Paul Evan Peters Award - Nominations By Oct 31

       [2]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (84)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Special Issue on Telecommunications in Europe for
                     _Convergence_

             Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:07:58 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 10, 2000

                 ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: PAUL EVAN PETERS AWARD
                          <http://www.educause.edu/awards/pep/pep.html>http://www.educause.edu/awards/pep/pep.html

             Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:09:58 +0100
             From: Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
    _Convergence_

    greetings humanists,

    [Hi, I thought..this call might interest you..Proposals for articles or
    completed papers should be sent to: Dr. Peter Humphreys with Address:
    Department of Government, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road,
    Manchester, M13 9PL. E-mail: <p.humphreys@man.ac.uk> Thanking you. Best
    Regards.-Arun]

    Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:25:42 +0100
    From: Convergence <convergence@luton.ac.uk>
    [--]

    *****Call for papers*****

    Special Issue on Telecommunications in Europe

    Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies

    Submission deadline for this issue is :  30th October 2001

    For Volume 8 No. 2 of the Journal (Summer 2002) we are seeking papers
    relating to research projects or case studies on European telecommunications
    policy.  This issue will be guest-edited by Peter Humphreys, Reader in
    Government, University of Manchester.

    For well over a decade now, with the UK in the vanguard, European states
    have been gradually liberalising their previously highly protected
    telecommunications markets, and privatising their former monopolistic,
    state-owned telecommunication operators. Although the process has been
    driven by underlying market and technological pressures, the European Union
    has been an important agency for promoting within Europe this paradigm
    change, seen as vital for Europes competitiveness in the much vaunted
    Information Society. This special issue focuses on the regulatory policy
    issues raised by liberalisation, privatisation and competition in the
    telecommunications sector as it converges with other sectors  IT, Internet,
    media - in the digital age.

    One contextual article  already commissioned  looks at European
    telecommunications reform in the global context (the ITU, the WTO, the US
    influence, etc.). Additional articles are invited on any of, or combining
    several of, the following themes:

       Regulatory convergence and diversity: The EUs liberalisation and
    re-regulation Directives have allowed for significant discretion regarding
    implementation. How diverse are member states regulatory structures and
    practices?

        The performance of the national regulatory regimes . The Commissions 1999
    Fifth Report on the Telecom Regulatory Package found significant variety in
    the division of regulatory powers between ministries, regulatory bodies, and
    national competition authorities. How diversely have national regulators
    performed?

       Corporate strategies and European competition policy: Liberalisation,
    globalisation and convergence with the IT and audiovisual sectors have
    produced a wave of mergers and acquisitions, and strategic alliances. What
    are the implications for competition policy?

       The future of universal service: What kind of policies are required to
    avoid an information rich/information poor scenario?

       The convergence of telecoms with the audiovisual and IT sectors Is policy
    for convergence being driven by a mixture of technological determinism, an
    overarching concern for economic competitiveness, and a blind faith in
    competition delivering the public-interest benefits?

    Proposals for papers on other themes will be considered.

    Proposals for articles or completed papers should be sent to:
    Peter Humphreys
    Address: Department of Government, The University of Manchester, Oxford
    Road, Manchester, M13 9PL.
    E-mail: p.humphreys@man.ac.uk

    Convergence is a quarterly refereed academic journal which addresses the
    creative, social, political and pedagogical issues raised by the advent of
    new media technologies. On-line info at http://www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence

    Proposals for articles or completed papers for all other issues should be
    sent to: Julia Knight or Alexis Weedon, Editors, Convergence, School of
    Media Arts, University of Luton, 75 Castle Street, Luton, LU1 3AJ, United
    Kingdom. Tel: +44 1582 734111, fax: + 44 1582 489014, email:
    Convergence@luton.ac.uk

    information and for details of back issues, see our web site at
    <http://www.luton.ac.uk/Convergence>

    The copyright of all articles, papers, reports and reviews published in
    Convergence rests with the University of Luton Press. Any author(s) wishing
    to have their published text reproduced elsewhere should seek the necessary
    permission via the Editors

    Edited by Julia Knight, Jeanette Steemers & Alexis Weedon
    Dept of Media Arts,
    University of Luton,
    75 Castle St., Luton, LU1 3AJ, UK
    Editorial email: Convergence@luton.ac.uk