14.0345 errors in e-books, XML & proprietary formats

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/13/00

       [1]   From:    "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>          (17)
             Subject: Re: 14.0339 errors in e-boos:

       [2]   From:    "Christian Wittern" <wittern@iis.sinica.edu.tw>     (19)
             Subject: RE: 14.0318 XML ebooks from Virginia

             Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:14:36 +0100
             From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>

    Some interesting responses to the fact of errors in e-text: the most
    creative is the most recent -- 'if there are errors, it's the reader's
    fault' !! I find that fascinating -- we know that denial of
    responsibility is typical of our culture at its worst, but this is  some
    sort of record-setting denial.

    Also of interest is what might be called "the Von Daniken response" --
    old-fashioned people hate us so they look for errors --   it's really
    too laughable to address.

    No, folks, someone is paying too little attention to what goes into the
    folders.  The errors I mentioned in Chaucer are of the most egregious
    type (and they were reported in Chaucernet, BTW)  one of them destroys
    the meter of the line: it's hard to see how it got overlooked (of
    course, it can be argued that we no longer care about aesthetics, I
    guess), and the other messes up the syntax.   God forbid that we should
    want to know what Chaucer may have written or what he may have meant
    thereby.....

    Oh brave new world....