14.0350 sci-fi & science; philosophical fiction; glass houses

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/13/00

       [1]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>               (9)
             Subject: Philip K. Dick

       [2]   From:    Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>               (6)
             Subject: name

       [3]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (14)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Philosophical Fiction

       [4]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>         (35)
             Subject: by means of a glass in an enigma

             Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:13:01 +0100
             From: Randall Pierce <rpierce@jsucc.jsu.edu>

    Mr. Dick was not a contributor of what is known as "hard" science
    fiction. That is, a concentration on scientific themes, such as Gibson's
    works about the neuro-sciences and computers. Mr. Dick was interested in
    the "soft sciences", in this case the psychology of perception, as shown
    in his "Man in the high Castle". While engaged in the dissemanation of
    material by the means of a hypertext it would be unfortunate if we did
    not take into account the human and humane impacts of this burgeoning
    science. Technique should never take precedence over results. Remember
    the "human" in humanist. Randall