14.0362 terminological questions

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/15/00

       [1]   From:    Thierry van Steenberghe                             (66)
                     <100342.254@compuserve.com>
             Subject: Re: 14.0349 encoding vs markup?

       [2]   From:    erose@Princeton.EDU                                  (2)
             Subject: Re: 14.0352 funding (NSF/NEH/NEA -- U.S.)

             Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 10:47:44 +0100
             From: Thierry van Steenberghe <100342.254@compuserve.com>

    For what it's good...

    Having spent some years preparing a scholarly text for e-publication, I share
    the intuition of Fotis Jannidis about the difference between encoding and
    markup..
    I would also consider that the mere fact that the 'E' in TEI is for
    'Encoding', while the 'M' in 'SGML' and other '-ML' acronyms is for 'Markup'
    can be taken as some argument suporting this intuition...

    The work referred to above did not use the TEI Guidelines directly (because
    they do not yet contain specific tagging for the type of text we had,
    grammatical text that is), but we used the TEI as a philosophy to help us
    define our own specific set of tags (our DTD): this is to explain why I feel
    that 'encoding' is *much* more than 'marking up'.

    The 'markup' could then be defined as the process of adequately placing the
    tags in the text, as well as the result of this process, i.e. the set of
    actual tags inserted and effectively marking-up the text. The first meaning
    would then be indeed a part of the whole process of 'encoding', consisting of
    designing, inserting, checking, maintaining, and possibly even using the
    markup.

    --

    Thierry van Steenberghe
    Bruxelles/Belgium