14.0371 new media & social life

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/17/00

       [1]   From:    "Charles Ess" <sophia42@earthlink.net>              (34)
             Subject: re. 14.0357 impact of new media on social life

       [2]   From:    "Charles Ess" <cmess@lib.drury.edu>                 (31)
             Subject: re. 14.0357 - again

             Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:46:56 +0100
             From: "Charles Ess" <sophia42@earthlink.net>

    Dear Willard and HUMANIST colleagues:

    My apologies for sending my note out a shade too quickly [I know I'm the
    only one this ever happens to ;-)]
    What I _meant_ to say, of course, is that the CMU and Stanford studies show
    a direct proportion between time on-line and feelings of social isolation
    (including depression) - implying an inverse proportion between time
    on-line and what can be broadly categorized as social happiness in the
    world of embodiment and face-to-face modes of communication.

    In penance for my mal-expression:

    the CMU study is available online from the American Psychologist (as well
    as many other places):
    http://www.apa.org/journals/amp/amp5391017.html

    the Stanford study is announced and discussed at
    http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/report/news/february16/internetsurvey-216.html

    Just to add some balance (murkiness?) - there is a thread of research that
    shows how, for example, immigrant and diaspora groups (e.g., Russians,
    Chinese, and Koreans in the U.S.) use the Internet and the Web to maintain
    what one researcher calls "intensive" connections, i.e., to reinforce and
    maintain one's social existence (so Joo-Young Jung, Annenberg School of
    Communication, University of Southern California, at the recent conference
    of the association of internet researchers (see <http://aoir.org/> and
    Fillip Sapienza, Communal Ethos on a Russian migr Web Site , Javnost-the
    Public, "Global Cultures: Communities, Communication and Transformation"
    Vol 6, 1999).

    Hope this helps.  Cheers -

    Charles Ess
    Professor and Chair, Philosophy and Religion Department,
    Drury University
    900 N. Benton Ave.                   Voice: 417-873-7230
    Springfield, MO  65802  USA            FAX: 417-873-7435
    Home page:  http://www.drury.edu/Departments/phil-relg/ess.html
    Co-chair, CATaC 2000: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac00/
    "Life is short, and Art long; the crisis fleeting; experience perilous, and
    decision difficult." Hippocrates (460-379 B.C.E.), _Aphorisms_, 1.