14.0383 Laputa-like void of physics and mathematics

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/19/00

             Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:08:03 +0100
             From: Jascha Kessler <jaschak@earthlink.net>
             Subject: Re: 14.0373 science and science fiction

    I am amused and delighted by Osher Doctorow's analogical explanations, via
    mathematical, or arithmetic reversals of quantity and position  not
    "quality" or transformation by cause and effect  because it demonstrates
    once again the void, Laputa-like, in which physics and mathematics operates,
    the mental void, perhaps.  Very little in history, if anything at all,
    suggests that some Homo sapiens precursor wondered what it might be like not
    to knuckle along on the ground.  Easier: where did the current nouvelle
    cuisine fad for flavored breads get its start? because someone asked what a
    bread with rosemary or sesame seeds might taste like?  Rather not, is the
    answer.  Most breads as late as the 19th Century were made with flour often
    tainted by ergot, or molds of various kinds, green and hairy.  Bakers in
    Italy, at least, began to use tainted flour disguised with various powerful
    herbs.  Meat spoiled very quickly in the times of the first Portuguese
    quests for spices, to the West and South to India, because the Ottomans
    controlled the Mediterranean, and spices were not to be had to cure and help
    preserve meat, etc. Doctorow is pulling the Humanist leg, I think, since his
    reversals have nothing to do, I would suggest, with how things in history
    actually happened.  I suppose the better examples will come from
    paleontology...the progression, very slow, over vast stretches of time, of
    the shape of arrow and spear points.  How the most primitive men invented
    the spear thrower is a great, and perhaps unsolvable, mystery; but it took
    time to think up some way of leveraging the power of the arm, and I dont
    think it came about because it was dreamed up.  Necessity is the mother of
    invention, and in Doctorow's abstract universe, or Laputa Island, it would
    seem that invention rather brings about the necessity.
    Newton's equations for gravity did not include historical time, even if it
    is true that Roger Bacon much earlier began finally to come up with some
    form of pre-calculus, because cannoneers simply had to begin to find out how
    to elevate their muzzles to calculate the flight of the ball, its arc, that
    is.  It had not been accomplished during the centuries and millennia perhaps
    of the balestra. Etc.
       Jascha Kessler
       Telephone: (310) 393-4648  (9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. PST)
       Fax: (360) 838-8589/VoiceMail 24 hours (360) 838-8589

       http://www.english.ucla.edu/jkessler/
       http://www.xlibris.com
       http://jaschakessler.homestead.com/
       http://www.mcphersonco.com