14.0391 sociological reflections & the social sciences in humanities computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/20/00

             Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:13:41 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: sociological reflections and studies

    Humanists with a sociological bent (or should I say rectitude?) to their
    interests, as will have been discovered by the recent all-too-brief
    discussion of the impact of the new media on social life, will enjoy and
    profit from reading the publications of the sociologist Barry Wellman
    (Centre for Urban and Community Studies, Toronto), many of which are
    available from his website at <http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/>.
    Those whose interests are not sociological but include nicely designed
    websites should take a look too.

    It might prove interesting to have a discussion on the role(s) we would
    like to see the social sciences play in humanities computing. Not that we
    would presume to dabble in those fields, for which not a small amount of
    training is required. But it does seem to me that in the proper education
    of a computing humanist a strong social science component would be
    essential. I don't see how it could be avoided. When, for example, we think
    about the design of software to implement research methods of the
    humanities, this can hardly be done in a social vacuum. Even if we leave
    the study of how humanists do research to the social scientists, we
    certainly need the results of such research -- and the intellectual means
    to understand them.

    Comments?

    -----
    Dr Willard McCarty / Centre for Computing in the Humanities /
    King's College London / Strand / London WC2R 2LS / U.K. /
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784 / ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/