14.0401 online publishing

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/22/00

       [1]   From:    Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>                (40)
             Subject: Re: 14.0394 self-archiving & online publishing

       [2]   From:    "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com>              (33)

             Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 07:28:09 +0100
             From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>

    Greetings,

    Joel Goldfield commented on the perceived lack of "peer review" in Steven
    Harnad's comments as follows:

      > One problem, although much is good in this freeing of research from
      > dissemination barriers, is that there will be more research available,
      > and much will not have been peer reviewed.  We researchers will have
      > more grain to separate from the chaff.  Even for good research, it
      > remains to be seen how many peers are going to be available to provide
      > the desired vetting.  Will free peer reviewing be a growth industry?

    It would be more accurate to say that materials held in preprint servers or
    other electronic corpora will not be subjected to "limited peer review," which
    is the current norm in the humanities. No current vetting system can afford an
    unlimited number of reviewers, either economically or organizationally, so the
    much touted "limited peer review" of the current system is surprising in the
    fact that it works at all, rather than it works well. New methods or topics,
    unfamiliar to the limited number of reviewers, fare less well than submissions
    that follow the hoary adages of the reviewer's generation of scholars.

    Contrast the current system of "limited peer review" with the system of peer
    review that is inherent in the comments by Steven Harnad. Under Harnad's
    system, papers and concepts can be subjected to peer review by all interested
    colleagues and not some limited subset. Greater responsibility for making
    critical judgments will be placed on the readers but what scholar blindly
    accepts findings outside (or inside) their field of expertise because an
    article survived the current system of "limited peer review?" Scholars can
    publically "review" the work of others, something that is not present in the
    present system. With such reviews, scholars can see the reasons why a
    particular work was seen as useful, useless, etc., rather than simply being
    unaware of it altogether.

    We would do well to remember that Willard has on occassion started discussion
    topics on the Humanist list that address the need to teach critical thinking to
    students. If students need to think critically about sources, shouldn't
    scholars think critically about the work of other scholars? As opposed to
    abdicating that responsibility to the current norm of "limited peer review?"

    Patrick

    --
    Patrick Durusau
    Director of Research and Development