14.0427new on WWW: a small fraction of the total, but still....

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/27/00

       [1]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                    (59)
             Subject: Moving Theory into Practice: Cornell's Digital Imaging
                     Tutorial

       [2]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (81)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Jennifer Healey on "Sensible Computers": _Technologies
                     that Enable Computers to Understand Human Emotion_

       [3]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                   (229)
             Subject: Universal Page + "Eulogy for the Utopian Dream of the
                     Net"

       [4]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                    (34)
             Subject: "Current Cites," October 2000: Peer-to-Peer Networking

       [5]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (79)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: A Roundtable Discussion with: "Merleau-Ponty and the
                     Philosophy of Mind" (insides, enclosed are the papers
                     of Profs. Hubert

       [6]   From:    Arun-Kumar Tripathi <tripathi@statistik.uni-        (50)
                     dortmund.de>
             Subject: Integration of communications, information technology
                     (IT) & information and broadcasting under one
                     umbrella..

       [7]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                    (11)
             Subject: Valenti v. Lessig Future of IP Debate on RealVideo

       [8]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                    (17)
             Subject: COPYRIGHT: ALA Report on DMCA Anti-Circumvention
                     Ruling

             Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:52:38 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
    Tutorial

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 25, 2000

                        Moving Theory into Practice:
                    Cornell's Digital Imaging Tutorial
          <http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/tutorial/index.html>http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/tutorial/index.html

    As a follow-up to its innovative and successful book and workshop, Cornell
    University's  Preservation & Conservation Department has now issued an
    online tutorial version of "Moving Theory into Practice: Digital Imaging
    for Libraries & Archives."  The book, by Anne R. Kenney and Oya Y. Rieger,
    is available from RLG, see
    <<http://www.rlg.org/preserv/mtip2000.html>http://www.rlg.org/preserv/mtip2000.html>.

    The workshop continues into 2001, when it will be offered three times at
    Cornell:
    May 14-18 (registration begins December 15, 2000); July 23-27 (registration
    from March 1); and October 1-5  (registration from June 1). For further
    information on the workshop, see:
    <<http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/workshop/>http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/workshop/>

    David Green
    ===========

     >Date:         Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:09:33 -0400
     >>list             <DIGLIB@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA>
     >From: Barbara Berger Eden <beb1@CORNELL.EDU>

    Please excuse any duplication

    Moving Theory into Practice: Cornell's Digital Imaging Tutorial
    <http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/tutorial/index.html>http://www.library.cornell.edu/preservation/tutorial/index.html

    The Department of Preservation and Conservation of Cornell University
    Library announces the public release of its online digital imaging
    tutorial, Moving Theory into Practice. Although designed as an adjunct to
    the recently published book and workshop series known by the same name, the
    tutorial can also serve as a standalone introduction to the use of digital
    imaging to convert and make accessible cultural heritage materials.

    Produced with funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the
    tutorial is currently available in English, with a Spanish language version
    to follow in December 2000 (from the same Web address). The tutorial
    consists of sections encompassing all the major aspects of digital imaging:
    Selection, Conversion, Quality Control, Metadata, Technical Infrastructure,
    Presentation, Digital Preservation, and Management. Designed to be
    self-guided and self-paced, the tutorial includes frequent "reality checks"
    for evaluating the understanding of the presented material. Most sections
    are heavily illustrated, and provide suggestions for further reading. The
    tutorial also includes several tables, providing reference data on topics
    such as graphic file formats, compression techniques, scanner
    characteristics, and institutional guidelines
    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.