14.0431 U.S. copyright matters

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/28/00

       [1]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                   (110)
             Subject: COPYRIGHT: DFC calls for re-calibration of DMCA in
                     light of 1201 rulemaking

       [2]   From:    NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>                    (87)
             Subject: COPYRIGHT: Rep. Boucher Statement: "Pay-Per-Use
                     Society One Step Closer"

             Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:59:45 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: COPYRIGHT: DFC calls for re-calibration of DMCA in light
    of 1201 rulemaking

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 27, 2000

                  Digital Future Coalition Calls for recalibration of DMCA
                                in light of new rulemaking

    The Digital Future Coalition released the following statement yesterday on
    the recent rulemaking by the Librarian of Congress on the
    anti-circumvention provision (section 1201) of the Digital Millemium
    Copyright Act (DMCA).

    You will note that the DFC credits the Librarian of Congress for being
    aware of the "potential damage to scholarship" in this rulemaking during
    the 3 years before the next rulemaking and that it "places considerable
    burdens on the scholarly, academic, and library communities." He has
    therefore called for a review of this time frame as well as of the
    appropriate criteria for assessing the harm that could be done to American
    creativity by the anti-circumvention provision.

    Speaking for the DFC, Professor Peter Jaszi expressed the hope that
    "Congress now recognizes that it may have gone too far in drafting the DMCA
    to accommodate the interests of copyright owners without including adequate
    safeguards to protect the legitimate interests of information consumers. As
    it considers amendments to the DMCA next year, we trust the 107th Congress
    will seek to recalibrate the DMCA to bring it more in keeping with the
    grand tradition of balance that has served our nation so well for the past
    two centuries."

    Following this, I am forwarding a statement by Representative Rick Boucher,
    circulated by DFC.

    David Green
    ============

     >Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:41:44 -0400
     >From: "Ruth Rodgers" <RRodgers@hrrc.org>
     >To: Digital Future Coalition Discussion List <dfclist@ala.org>
     >>Contact:
     >Ruth Rodgers
     >202-628-9210

    COPYRIGHT OWNERS GET GREEN LIGHT TO ROLL WITH TECHNOLOGICAL PROTECTION
    MEASURES AT CONSUMER EXPENSE

    October 26--Washington, D.C. Today, the Digital Future Coalition (DFC)
    expressed its appreciation to the Librarian of Congress for seeking to
    preserve the fair use rights of information consumers, while expressing its
    deep disappointment that content owners effectively had been given a green
    light to use technological protection measures to lock up access to
    copyrighted works.

    "Once again, content owners have successfully promoted their own narrow
    financial interests over the broader public interest in preserving consumer
    access to literary, scientific, and other works," said Professor Peter
    Jaszi of the DFC. He continued: "As the Assistant Secretary of Commerce for
    Communications and Information outlined so eloquently on behalf of the
    Administration in a recent letter to the Register of Copyrights, preserving
    the principle of fair use in the information age would encourage a
    renaissance of research, academic, and educational freedom, just as it
    promoted the progress of science and the useful arts throughout the analog
    era. In our view, something profound is lost when fair use is
    diminished.  Today, consumers find themselves one step closer to the
    pay-per-use society envisioned by copyright owners."

    Noting that "potential damage to scholarship may well ensue in the course
    of a three-year period," before the next scheduled rulemaking, and that
    "the statute places considerable burdens on the scholarly, academic, and
    library communities," the Librarian of Congress himself today announced his
    intent to request Congressional review of the time frame of the rulemaking,
    the appropriate criteria for assessing the harm that could be done to
    American creativity by the anti-circumvention provision, and called for
    more clarity concerning the definition of "class of works."

    The DFC recognized that the Register and her staff had labored under
    difficult circumstances in attempting to implement section 1201(a)(1) of
    the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) in a manner consistent with
    Congressional intent. However, the organization also noted that in enacting
    the DMCA, Congress had expressed strong concern for the preservation of the
    fair use doctrine and other traditional copyright doctrines that promote
    public access to information. The DFC expressed regret that the Copyright
    Office had failed to capture the spirit of this legislation in interpreting
    it for the Librarian.

    Section 1201(a)(1) was drafted to allow exemptions from the prohibition on
    circumvention of technological protection measures for "persons who are
    users of a copyrighted work which is in a particular class of works, if
    such persons are, or are likely to be . . . adversely affected by virtue of
    such prohibition in their ability to make non-infringing uses of that
    particular class of works . . .." It should have been possible to exempt,
    for example, copies of works that universities and libraries purchase when
    their students or patrons subsequently seek to make non-infringing uses of
    those works. Unfortunately, todays decision took 70 pages to essentially
    say that few persons may ever circumvent a technological protection measure
      even to gain access to a work solely for legitimate noncommercial purposes.

    In concluding, Professor Jaszi said: "We hope Congress now recognizes that
    it may have gone too far in drafting the DMCA to accommodate the interests
    of copyright owners without including adequate safeguards to protect the
    legitimate interests of information consumers. As it considers amendments
    to the DMCA next year, we trust the 107th Congress will seek to recalibrate
    the DMCA to bring it more in keeping with the grand tradition of balance
    that has served our nation so well for the past two centuries."

    Founded in 1995, the Digital Future Coalition consists of forty-two
    national organizations representing a wide range of non-profit and
    for-profit entities. Its membership represents educators, computer and
    telecommunications industry businesses, librarians, archivists, authors,
    and scientists.  DFC is committed to striking an appropriate balance in law
    and public policy between protecting intellectual property and affording
    public access to it.
    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National
    Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of
    announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted;
    neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We
    attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate
    reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:
    <<mailto:david@ninch.org>mailto:david@ninch.org>
    See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
    <<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.