14.0433 hypertext research and the outsider

From: by way of Willard McCarty (willard@lists.village.Virginia.EDU)
Date: 10/28/00

             Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:53:43 +0100
             From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@gslis.utexas.edu>
             Subject: Re: 14.0421 hypertext research and the outsider

    With reference to Willard's remarks:

     >(3) Bridging disciplinary cultures is indeed very difficult. From one
     >perspective my complaint can be seen as the common experience of a person
     >looking in on a discipline in which he has not been trained. It can be
     >very difficult in fact for such a person to recognise that what goes on in
     >the foreign discipline IS scholarship. Thus my difficulty? To someone like
     >me published work is all, whatever the medium, however slowly it happens.
     >Is it the case that in (non-mathematical) CS the software prototypes are
     >primary, the papers actually quite secondary? If so, then is it more than
     >a bit much for me to expect such effort to be put into openly accessible
     >publication as in the humanities?

    I just attended a CS seminar today on text mining, one where the work being
    reported had manifested itself in a program, a dissertation, and a dot-com
    startup whose methods were now protected by a non-disclosure agreement--so
    totally apart from the online preprint syndrome, it is important to
    remember that in the CS world these days there is so much money to be made
    from new algorithms that they may become trade secrets before they ever see
    print, even virtually.

    Pat Galloway
    GSLIS
    University of Texas-Austin